Firas is fluent in English, French and Arabic. He advises energy and infrastructure clients on M&A and project development across the oil and gas, mining, renewable energy and conventional power sectors. His practice mainly focuses on Anglophone and Francophone Africa as well as other emerging markets.
Firas has undertaken a secondment to the gas division of a major firm client, where he gained an in-depth understanding of the midstream sector. During his secondment he advised on long-term LNG sale and purchase agreements and gas-to-power projects amongst more general corporate and commercial advice in the gas and energy sectors.
Firas' experience includes:
- Angola Japan Oil Co., Limited, a majority owned subsidiary of Mitsubishi Corporation, on the sale to Maurel & Prom of a 20% interest in two producing and development blocks (3/05 and 3/05A), offshore Angola
- Maurel & Prom on its acquisition of Shell's 40% interest in the project company operating the Urdaneta West field in Lake Maracaibo, onshore Venezuela
- Rockover Energy Limited in relation to its sale to Maurel & Prom of its deferred payment rights in producing assets in exchange for cash and shares, onshore Gabon
- Sumitomo Corporation on the acquisition of a 15.2% interest in the Ambatovy nickel and cobalt mining project in Madagascar from its JV partner Sherritt Corporation (2017), followed by a further 6.5% interest as part of Sherritt's Canadian restructuring process (2020), as well as ongoing advice in relation to the project.
- A confidential client on its investment into a company that finances, manufactures and distributes decentralised solar systems in Africa
- a major Chinese SOE on its bid to purchase the holding entity for a combined-cycle power plant, Canada (1MW)
Firas was raised in the UK and studied in both London and Paris at university. He completed his training contract at a major international firm in London before joining the firm's Energy & Infrastructure team in Paris.