Finnuala is a Senior Associate in the International Arbitration group.
Finnuala specialises in international arbitration, with additional experience of litigation before the English courts, in support of arbitration and in its own right, public international law and business and human rights law.
Finnuala's experience spans a variety of sectors and a multitude of arbitral rules and seats.
Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills LLP in 2023, Finnuala was a lawyer in the international arbitration practice of another global firm. She is English qualified and holds an English law LLB and Masters in German law. She speaks English and German.
Experience & expertise
- a mobile telecommunications operator in a Douala-seated LCIA arbitration, relating to shareholder interests and transfer pricing issues*
- a financial institution in a London-seated LCIA arbitration against the Central Bank of Venezuela and related English court proceedings, arising out of a swap agreement and amidst the backdrop of US sanctions and rival Presidencies in Venezuela*
- two oil and gas companies in a London-seated UNCITRAL arbitration against the Government of India and related challenge proceedings before the English court, arising out of two production sharing contracts*
- the Islamic Republic of Pakistan in an ICSID investment treaty arbitration, relating to the Reko Diq copper and gold mining project*
- an oil and gas company in obtaining an anti-suit injunction from the English court in support of arbitration*
- She has advised members of an indigenous community in a claim against a State before the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights and an NGO on the decriminalisation of homosexuality in an African jurisdiction.*
* Experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills LLP