Evgeny has worked with clients on more than 50 placements of equity securities of Russian and CIS companies, and has advised on numerous debt offerings and liability management transactions.
Heading the Moscow office private equity practice, Evgeny has helped many clients with high profile private equity deals and acted for most key players active on the Russian market. Evgeny advises Russian and international private equity funds and investors as well as major investment banks.
Evgeny is also active in advising corporate and financial industry clients on restructuring matters.
Since joining the firm in 2008 Evgeny has been consistently recognised by leading legal guides as an expert in his field. IFLR 1000, Chambers Global, Chambers Europe and Best Lawyers have all named him among the best lawyers advising on capital markets, private equity, corporate law and securities regulations in Russia.
Evgeny's experience includes advising:
- Goldman Sachs and Baring Vostok on the acquisition of a 49.5% interest in Familia, a discount clothes retail chain
- the shareholders of Morton Group in connection with the sale of 100% of the group to Horus Capital, a company based in the Netherlands and owned by prominent Russian businessman Sergey Gordeev
- the majority shareholders of MDM Bank, one of Russia's largest private banks, on the sale of close to 95% of the bank to the entities controlled by Mikail Shishkhanov and Mikhail Gutseriev, the shareholders of B&N Bank
- a consortium of selling shareholders consisting of Goldman Sachs, Baring Vostok, Vostok Nafta and Horizon Capital on the US$1.09 billion Regulation S and Rule 144A initial public offering (IPO) of global depositary receipts of TCS Group Holding PLC, a holding company of Tinkoff Credit Systems Bank, with listing on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange
- Industrial Investors (the controlling shareholder of FESCO) on the ownership restructuring in relation to the disposal of its stake in Far Eastern Shipping Company (part of the FESCO Group), one of the largest transportation groups in Russia, to Summa Group, Russian diversified holding with assets in port logistics, engineering, construction, TMT and energy sectors
- Evgeny Zelensky is "seasoned, deliberate, extremely hard-working," adding that "he is an exceptional negotiator and very commercial." Chambers Global 2017
- Evgeny Zelensky has "an in-depth understanding of business and financial processes" Legal500 EMEA 2017
- "client-focused and able to work under pressure and meet very challenging deadlines" Chambers Europe 2016
- "Evgeny Zelensky is able to take into account not just the legal issues but also the PR and business issues. He is recommended for his wide experience in capital markets transactions, as well as corporate and M&A" Chambers Global 2014
- "Evgeny Zelensky is praised for his creative approach to problem solving, excellent structuring skills and detailed knowledge of the law" The European Legal500 2014
- "Evgeny Zelensky is involved in restructuring matters, particularly when it comes to liability management issues and defaulted bonds" Chambers Europe 2014
Evgeny holds a Juris Doctor degree from Notre Dame Law School in the United States. He is Member of New York State Bar Association and American Bar Association.
Prior to joining the firm as a partner in 2008, Evgeny headed the legal and compliance department at Renaissance Capital, a leading emerging markets investment bank. He also worked in the New York and Moscow offices of a leading international law firm.