Evgeny has been advising both international and domestic clients in connection with large-scale transactions. His particular areas of expertise include: mergers & acquisition in the oil & gas, TMT, pharma and other sectors; structuring joint ventures with foreign partners in Russia; acquisitions and disposals by Russian state champions abroad. Evgeny is also a go-to person at HSF Moscow for Russian regulatory advice, including antitrust, strategic investments legislation, industry-specific regulation, etc. Evgeny has practiced law for more than 11 years.
Clients which Evgeny has been advising include, in particular: major Russian companies e.g. Gazprom, Vnesheconombank; Japanese trading houses and corporations; Chinese SOEs e.g. CNODC (subsidiary of CNPC), Silk Road Fund, Beijing Gas Group; major automotive producers e.g. Mitsubishi Motors and Daimler; PE houses, investment managers and banks e.g. Goldman Sachs KKR, Blackstone, Bain Capital; other industrial companies, funds and governmental agencies.
Evgeny is ranked "Next generation lawyer" by Legal 500 in the area of Energy/Natural Resources for Russia (April 2017).
He is also ranked in the category of "Regulatory" for Russia by Best Lawyers (2016 edition).
Evgeny is also a member of the Competition Experts Association, a major hub of competition lawyers in Russia which works closely alongside the Russian antitrust regulator on a wide range of initiatives (including legislative amendments, industry views, joint events, etc). He frequently writes articles on corporate and regulatory subjects and is the author of a book on the application of EU law in arbitral proceedings.
Evgeny's experience includes advising:
- $1.1bn investment by Beijing Gas Group into a major oil producing subsidiary of Rosneft (Verkhnechonskneftegaz)
- Silk Road Fund's acquisition of a minority stake in Yamal LNG from Novatek (Russia largest independent gas producer) and the acquisition 10% in Russia's largest petrochemical company Sibur
- Gazprom, on the sale of its gas assets in Estonia, implementation of the Third Gas Directive in Latvia and other EU member-states
- 36.6 group on the acquisition of Alliance Healthcare Russia pharmaceutical distribution business from Walgreens Boots Alliance group and the sale of 15% in Pharmacy Chain 36.6 to Walgreens Boots Alliance group
- Telecom Holding on the contribution of 100% of its subsidiary Norilsk Telecom into a Cypriot JV between Dreymona (founder) and CapMan (a Finnish-based investment fund) and subscription for a minority interest.
Evgeny graduated from the Moscow State Institute for International Relations (MGIMO) and has a PhD in law. He also studied English contract law at the London Metropolitan University and EU law at the College of Europe. Before joining HSF in 2008 he worked at another international law firm.