Evgeny has been advising both international and domestic clients on all aspects of cross-border M&A transactions, joint ventures and corporate restructurings. Amongst his clients are major Russian companies Gazprom, Vnesheconombank, Sberbank, major international investors including Japanese trading houses, US private equity funds, Chinese SOEs, major European corporations, etc. He has got particular experience in the energy, automotive, TMT, pharma and other sectors.
Apart from being a corporate/M&A lawyer, Evgeny is also in charge of the regulatory offering in our Russian practice. His regulatory expertise includes advising major international investors and Russian companies on foreign direct investments, antitrust and merger control, industry-specific regulation, data protection and many other areas.
Evgeny has been practising law since 2005. His experience includes advising:
- Alstom Transport S.A. on the merger of CJSC Transmashholding (the largest manufacturer of trains and rail equipment in Russia) and LocoTech-Service LLC (a major producer of parts for the railway industry, provider of maintenance and modernisation services, and leaser of trains) into a combined business, held through a Cypriot joint venture entity, of which Alstom holds 20%. The deal was named "Deal of the Year" in Russia by CEE Legal Matters 2018
- China National Oil and Gas Exploration and Development Company Ltd ("CNODC"), a subsidiary of China National Petroleum Corporation, on its acquisition of 10% in Arctic LNG 2 from Novatek, the largest independent natural gas producer in Russia
- Beijing Gas Group, on the $1.1 acquisition of a stake in Verkhneconskneftegaz, a major oil producing subsidiary of Rosneft
- China National Oil and Gas Exploration and Development Corporation, on the acquisition of a 20% stake in the South Tambeyskoye gas field project through the acquisition of shares in Yamal LNG from Novatek
- Silk Road Fund on the acquisition of (i) minority stake in in the South Tambeyskoye gas field project through the acquisition of shares in Yamal LNG; and (ii) acquisition of a 10% stake in major Russian petrochemical company Sibur
- a Japanese corporation on a joint venture for the exploration and development of an oil field in Russia
- a Japanese investor on its proposed joint venture with a Russian partner in connection with the construction of a coal handling port terminal
- Bonum Capital (Cyprus) Limited on the acquisition and subsequent sale of approximately 86% of shares in Vozrozhdenie Bank. The deal was awarded “European Corporate Deal of the Year” by The Lawyer 2019
He is ranked "Next generation lawyer" in the area of Energy/Natural Resources for Russia – Legal 500 EMEA 2017 and in the category of "Regulatory" for Russia – Best Lawyers 2016, 2018 - 2020
He frequently writes articles on a variety of corporate/M&A and regulatory topics.
His recent publications include:
- The Pharmaceutical Intellectual Property and Competition Law Review: Russia Chapter
- Joint Ventures 2020, Russia – Getting the deal through, 2020
- Joint Ventures 2019, Russia – Getting the deal through, 2019
- Joint Ventures 2018, Russia – Getting the deal through, 2018
Evgeny holds a Master of Laws degree (cum laude) from the Moscow State Institute for International Relations (MGIMO) and a Candidate of Sciences degree (PhD equivalent) from the same university. He also studied English contract law at the London Metropolitan University and EU law at the College of Europe. Before joining HSF in 2008 he worked a number of years at another international law firm.
Evgeny is also a member of the Antitrust Experts Association, a Russian hub of competition lawyers which works closely alongside the Russian antitrust regulator on a wide range of initiatives
Evgeny speaks Russian (native), English (fluent), and French (fluent).