Ellen provides strategic advice and helps developer clients manage the approvals processes for a wide range of projects, including urban renewal and redevelopment schemes, major commercial developments and infrastructure projects.
Her experience covers front-end transactional matters, including advising on compliance with planning and environmental laws and developing strategies for gaining necessary approvals required for major developments, and conducting due diligences for various projects in the urban renewal, transport infrastructure and renewable energy sectors. Ellen also has extensive experience in cases before VCAT and Planning Panels Victoria concerning contentious permit approvals, compliance matters and planning scheme amendments for residential, commercial, energy and industrial developments.
Ellen’s experience includes:
- acting for Rail Projects Victoria for the Melbourne Metro project with strategic advice, assessment and approvals advice, and assisting with land acquisition and compensation matters
- advising property developers and investors on all aspects of major redevelopment projects, including strategic master-planning, liaising with stakeholders, development contributions, approvals conditions and planning agreements
- working in London, UK, on a range of major urban renewal projects including the Brent Cross South redevelopment for Argent Related, and on a number infrastructure projects including the development of utility scale solar farms
- acting for developers within Melbourne’s growth areas, including representation at Precinct Structure Plan Panel hearings, drafting development contributions / section 173 agreements and advising on staging approvals, GAIC and ongoing compliance matters
- Managing the precedent case for the developer in 1045 Burke Road Pty Ltd v Boroondara City Council, an appeal from VCAT to the Supreme Court of Victoria and then the Victorian Court of Appeal on a key question of law for heritage applications
Ellen holds a Bachelor of Laws with Honours and a Bachelor of Arts from Monash University. She also worked in London from 2015-2017 on a wide range of planning matters.