Elena completed her training contract with Herbert Smith Freehills and qualified into the firm's cyber security and intellectual property team in September 2018. Her main focus is cyber security and she has experience of advising at all stages of the cyber security lifecycle including proactive cyber-readiness and resilience, incident response and cyber related aspects of transactions and projects.
Elena's recent experience includes advising:
- a global company in relation to an advance-persistent-threat incident perpetrated by a sophisticated nation state actor which compromised its corporate networks
- BP in relation to an international cyber legislation tracking, monitoring and implementation project
- BHP Billiton in relation to its global cyber incident response plan, including advice in relation to 19 different jurisdictions across Europe, APAC, US and Latin America
- a leading entertainment company in relation to a data breach where the sensitive personal information of employees was shared on the company's intranet
- a financial markets data provider in relation to a software licensing dispute following a divestment of a segment of their business
Elena graduated from the University of Bristol in 2013 with a degree in Law. Elena was admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2018.
Elena has spent time on secondment to BP's cybersecurity legal team.