Elaine is a dispute resolution specialist and partner in our Tokyo office. She helps leading Japanese and multinational companies—mainly in the energy, mining, infrastructure, construction and manufacturing sectors—handle cross-border commercial disputes, primarily through international arbitration. She also works with clients on multijurisdictional fraud and anti-corruption investigations.
Elaine has extensive experience across a range of jurisdictions, having practised in Singapore, France and Japan.
Elaine has been practising in Japan since 2010, helping clients resolve complex multi-jurisdictional disputes. She is recognised as a leading individual for dispute resolution in Japan by Chambers Asia-Pacific, and is "highly appreciated for her arbitration skills, particularly on construction and energy issues, and specifically praised by clients for selecting the right strategies for, and avoiding the pitfalls of, cross-border disputes" (Chambers Global).
Elaine has represented major Japanese and multi-national companies in international arbitrations in various jurisdictions, including London, Paris, Singapore, Tokyo and Geneva. She has acted in arbitrations under the ICC, LCIA, JCAA and UNCITRAL rules, in relation to disputes governed by English, Singapore, French, Swiss, Vietnamese and UAE law. She is also a certified arbitrator with the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Elaine speaks English, French and Mandarin. She is qualified to advise on English law and Singaporean law in Japan as a Registered Foreign Lawyer (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi).
Elaine's recent experience includes:
- representing a consortium of investors in an LCIA arbitration in London, with parallel litigation in the BVI, in respect of a dispute over the control of a natural resources project
- representing a Middle Eastern company in a JCAA arbitration against a multi-national auto company, on issues arising out of breaches and termination of long-term distribution agreements
- representing a Southeast Asian oil and gas major in an UNCITRAL arbitration in Singapore in relation to a petroleum exploration, development and production project in Vietnam
- advising a Japanese construction and engineering company in relation to litigation proceedings in India
- advising several Japanese trading houses in relation to issues of anti-bribery, anti-corruption and proceeds of crime in African and Asian jurisdictions
Elaine speaks English, French and Mandarin. She is qualified to advise upon English law and Singapore law in Japan as a Registered Foreign Lawyer (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi).