Elaine has been practising in Japan since 2010, helping Japanese and multinational companies—mainly in the energy, mining, infrastructure, construction and manufacturing sectors— resolve complex multi-jurisdictional disputes, primarily through international arbitration. She also works with clients on multi-jurisdictional fraud and corruption investigations, advising clients on anti-bribery and corruption matters (including coordinating with various authorities and regulators), corporate governance and crisis management.
Elaine has represented clients in international arbitrations in various jurisdictions, including London, Paris, Singapore, Tokyo and Geneva. She has acted in arbitrations under the ICC, LCIA, JCAA and UNCITRAL rules, in relation to disputes governed by English, Singapore, French, Swiss, Vietnamese and UAE law. She is a certified arbitrator with the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, and a member of the LCIA's Young International Arbitration Group, the AAA's ICDR Young & International and the International Bar Association.
Elaine is recognised as a leading individual for dispute resolution in Japan by Chambers Asia-Pacific, and as a leading lawyer for Dispute Resolution and Construction in Japan by Who's Who Legal.
Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills' Tokyo office, Elaine practised for several years in Singapore and Paris. She speaks English, French and Mandarin. She is qualified to advise on English law and Singaporean law in Japan as a Registered Foreign Lawyer (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi).
Elaine's recent experience includes:
- representing a leading Japanese trading house in a HKIAC arbitration relating to a delay in closing two SPAs worth a combined total of over US$1 billion
- conducting an investigation jointly with a multilateral development bank into potentially sanctionable practices in relation to two high-value projects for the construction of power stations in a developing country
- representing a major Japanese trading house in connection with a VIAC arbitration concerning delays and disruption to the completion of an urban rail project in Southeast Asia
- representing a Japanese manufacturer in TAI arbitration proceedings with respect to an explosion at a Thai power plant
- representing a major Japanese company in an investigation of corrupt and anti-competitive activities at its Southeast Asian subsidiary, including advising on FCPA liability
- advising a Japanese auto manufacturer in relation to a dispute regarding the development, manufacture and supply of vehicles for sale across Europe, Africa, Latin America and the Middle East
- representing a consortium of investors in an LCIA arbitration in London, with parallel litigation in the BVI, in respect of a dispute over the control of a natural resources project
- representing a Middle Eastern company in a JCAA arbitration against a multi-national auto company, on issues arising out of breaches and termination of long-term distribution agreements
- representing a Southeast Asian oil and gas major in an UNCITRAL arbitration in Singapore in relation to a petroleum exploration, development and production project in Vietnam
- advising a Japanese construction and engineering company in relation to litigation proceedings in India
Elaine speaks English, French and Mandarin. She is qualified to advise upon English law and Singapore law in Japan as a Registered Foreign Lawyer (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi).