Edward is a Senior Associate specialising in corporate technology, media and telecommunications (TMT) transactions. Ranked in Chambers UK as a "rising star" Associate to Watch, Edward is noted for his "very good and very pragmatic" advice.
He advises clients from a range of industry sectors on M&A, joint venture, outsourcing and commercial matters with a TMT focus.
Edward is an expert in data protection and is certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals and the Chartered Institute for IT.
Edward joined Herbert Smith Freehills’ London office in 2009 and has particular experience of cross-border transactions involving Asia, having spent three years in the firm's Tokyo office.
He has completed secondments to the in-house legal teams at three major international companies, giving him an acute understanding of clients’ commercial needs and priorities.
With an in-depth knowledge of cutting-edge technology, Edward is a confident negotiator of strategic M&A and shareholder agreements, long term outsourcing and procurement contracts, and complex data processing and transfer arrangements.
Edward is certified as an information privacy professional by IAPP (CIPP/E, ISO17024:2012) and BCS Chartered Institute for IT (DPPC).
“Highly rated associate Edward du Boulay is identified by market commentators as a rising star… Clients praise his 'very good and very pragmatic' advice.” Chambers UK 2015
Edward's experience includes advising:
- SoftBank on its acquisition of Aldebaran Robotics, a French robotics company which designs, manufactures and sells autonomous humanoid robots
- ITOCHU, one of Japan’s largest conglomerates, on a cutting-edge digital printing joint venture in Thailand
- TSB Bank on its separation from Lloyds Banking Group and its £2bn long term outsourcing arrangements covering all critical IT and business services; the project won the NOA’s Financial Services Outsourcing Project of the Year award
- Transport for London on its £660m procurement of its ticketing and revenue collection systems and services across TfL's travel network, including the next generation of technology for the iconic Oyster card
- a major Japanese manufacturer on its data protection compliance under GDPR and the implementation of a group-wide international framework for the transfer of sensitive personal data
Edward has a First Class B.A.(Hons) from the University of London, where he won the I.G. Powell prize. He obtained his Postgraduate Diploma of Legal Practice with distinction. He is English law qualified and was previously licensed to advise in Japan as a Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi.