Eduardo is a State Attorney (currently on extended leave) and joined Herbert Smith Freehills as Head of the Litigation and Arbitration Practice, at the same time playing an active role working with clients on litigation/ arbitration, public law and regulation, especially in the Energy practice.
He previously worked as State Attorney General Counsel in the State Attorney office in Barcelona (with experience acting before Courts of all kinds) and as State Attorney General at the Secretariat of State for Energy.
Eduardo´s experience includes advising:
- defending the Kingdom of Spain against an arbitration claim lodged by 25 investment funds based on the Energy Charter Treaty (regarding new Spanish legislation applicable to photovoltaic technology)
- an energy company v other company in an ICC arbitration (€500 million): an award has been rendered in the arbitration proceedings upholding client's claim
- an energy company v other company in relation to a gas sale and supply contract subject to an ICC arbitration
- an engineering company vs another sector company in relation to the construction of a power distribution line subject to an ICC arbitration
- a TMT Company vs. another sector company in relation to a data traffic contracts subject to an arbitration
- a Spanish banking group in several criminal judicial actions
- Santander, Barclays and BBVA in several proceedings regarding financials products (preferent shares, bonds, etc)
Publication and Accolades
His expertise in dispute resolution particularly in energy sector is recognised by Chambers Europe and Legal 500 who quote clients citing Eduardo’s "knowledge and dedication" and describe him as "excellent in all aspects" and "thorough and goes deeply into studying projects." Also he is ranked in Best Lawyers since 2014 in Energy, Dispute Resolution
In 2016 Eduardo was elected by Economic press "Expansion" as one of the best lawyers in Spain.
Eduardo has written a large number publications, books and articles regarding the energy regulation sector in Spain covering areas of civil and administrative law, especially energy law.
He is a regular lecturer, speaker and professor in numerous courses and seminars. He assists in the preparation of candidates to the State Attorney's Office and he was a member of several panels for entry into the different departments of the Administration. He has tutored students at the Universidad de Barcelona, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Universidad San Pablo CEU de Madrid and Universidad Pontificia ICADE.
Eduardo held the position of Secretary of the Board of Directors of Invest in Spain (INTERES) and State Attorney in the public entities Centro para el Desarrollo Tecnológico e Industrial (CDTI) and Instituto para la Diversificación y Ahorro de la Energía (IDAE).
He held the position of State Attorney General (Deputy Director) at the State Attorney's Office in Barcelona and State Attorney at the Barcelona Port Authority (during which time he was involved in over 1,700 disputes before various courts, including liability claims).
He speaks Spanish, English and Italian.