Edgar has over a decade of experience advising on the development, financing, restructuring and acquisition of projects and assets in the energy, natural resources and infrastructure sectors. During his career, he has advised clients in multiple roles, including private and state-owned sponsors, commercial banks, development finance institutions, export credit agencies, private equity funds and governments. His experience spans projects and assets in Western Europe, Africa and Latin America.
Adding to his knowhow in complex international transactions’ structures and documentation, Edgar possesses in-depth knowledge of regulatory matters and business practices in a number of mature and emerging markets. This is particularly the case with respect to Lusophone countries, including Brazil, Portugal, Mozambique, Angola and Cape Verde.
Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Edgar worked for ten years at another global law firm, having spent time at its London, Lisbon, Madrid and Amsterdam offices.
Edgar is qualified to practice English, New York and Portuguese law. He is fluent in English, Portuguese and Spanish, as well as proficient in French.
Edgar’s experience includes advising:
- Deutsche Bank, ING, Macquarie and Shell on a US$160m reserved based facility for Karoon for the development of the Baúna field, offshore in Brazil
- AfDB, ECIC, JBIC, NEXI, and a syndicate of commercial banks on the project financing of the US$4 billion Nacala Corridor Rail and Port project in Mozambique and Malawi *
- Eni, CNPC, KOGAS, GALP and ENH on the ECA-backed US$8 billion financing of the Coral South floating LNG project in Mozambique *
- Eni on the US$2.8 billion sale to ExxonMobil of a 25% interest in the offshore Rovuma Basin Block 4 in Mozambique *
- Sonangol on a US$1bn K-SURE covered facility for the acquisition of two drillships *
- Hanwha Q CELLS on the development and financing of a solar plant in Montijo, Portugal *
- AfDB and EIB on the project financing of four onshore wind farms in Cape Verde *
* Denotes experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Edgar graduated from Universidade Nova de Lisboa in 2007. He holds a master’s degree in Business Law from Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, and an LL.M. with honours from Columbia University.