Elena is a dual-qualified (France, England & Wales) London-based Associate specialising in financial services contentious regulatory and enforcement matters.
Elena acts for banks and other financial institutions on a range of regulatory and compliance matters, particularly in the context of the FCA and the PRA enforcement investigations. Prior to joining our London office, Elena practiced at the firm's Paris office, where she advised banks and financial institutions in relation to cross-border and domestic disputes and regulatory investigations, enforcement proceedings by the AMF and the ACPR, as well as compliance issues, international sanctions and embargoes.
Elena was admitted to the Paris Bar in November 2015 and to practice as a Solicitor of England and Wales in June 2019. Elena holds a Master's degree in Finance Law from University Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne and a Master's degree in Business Law from University Paris V Descartes. She is fluent in English, French and Russian.
Experience & expertise
- a former head of the UK branch of an overseas bank under investigation by the PRA in relation to alleged breaches of their duties under the Senior Managers and Certification Regime
- a major French bank in a cartel investigation launched by the US Department of Justice, the UK Financial Conduct Authority, the European Commission and several other regulators in various jurisdictions
- several financial institutions, insurance companies, and payment services providers, during investigations and enforcement procedures by the French Prudential Authority (the ACPR) concerning the companies' compliance with anti-money laundering regulations
- a German bank facing numerous claims and threats of litigation in France by French local public authorities, in relation to various structured loans and structured interest rate swaps indexed on EUR/CHF
- a UK company and its French subsidiaries in a cross-border investigation by the French Financial Markets Authority (the AMF) concerning alleged insider dealing during merger negotiations.