Nico Abel has more than 20 years' experience advising corporates, financial investors and financial institutions on international M&A transactions, including private acquisitions and disposals, public takeovers, joint ventures and restructurings.
His recent experience includes transactions in the financial services, energy, infrastructure and transport sectors.
Nico’s experience includes advising:
- Klarna Group, the leading European payment provider, on various projects, including Klarna's global partnership with Billie, a leading provider of "Buy Now, Pay Later" (BNPL) payment methods for businesses, the acquisition of the wallet provider Stocard, as well as the acquisitions of the German payment services providers BillPay and SOFORT
- Unzer on the acquisition of the payment service providers Clearhaus and QuickPay, as well as on the acquisition of Paysafe Pay Later, a specialist for pay-later payment methods, from the Paysafe Group
- ANEX Group on the acquisition of Bucher Reisen, Öger Tours, and Neckermann Reisen from the insolvent Thomas Cook Group
- Event Hospitality & Entertainment Limited on the sale of its German cinema exhibition division, CineStar, to UK-based Vue International Bidco Plc
- Altra Industrial Motion Corp., a global manufacturer and marketer of electromechanical power transmission and motion control products listed on NASDAQ, on several transactions, including the combination with four operating companies from Fortive’s Automation and Specialty Platform as well as the acquisition of the Stromag business from GKN plc
- AnaCap Financial Partners on the sale of a controlling stake in heidelpay group to KKR
- “Legally strong and pragmatic”, client – JUVE 2020/2021
- ranked as one of “Germany’s Best Lawyers” for Corporate and M&A – Best Lawyers/ Handelsblatt 2021
- recommended lawyer for M&A, private equity and corporate law - JUVE 2006 through 2021
- "top quality, pragmatic and commercial, very good service", client – JUVE 2019/ 2020
- listed in "Germany's Best Lawyers 2019" for M&A – Handelsblatt Rating in cooperation with Best Lawyers
- described by clients as "experienced, quick thinking, flexible, pleasant cooperation" – JUVE 2017/2018
- recommended lawyer for Corporate/ M&A – Legal 500 2017/2018
- "experienced, great comprehension, responsive, flexible", client – JUVE 2016/2017
- clients say Nico is "extremely experienced" - Legal 500 Corporate/M&A 2013
- leading lawyer for Private Equity - Chambers & Partners 2012
- recommended for his "very commercial and pragmatic approach" - Chambers & Partners 2011
- rated among the Top Ten German M&A lawyers (age 40 and under) - JUVE 2007 through 2011
Nico joined Herbert Smith Freehills in 2013 after working for other market-leading international law firms.