Nathalie advises and represents companies in cases of white-collar crime (inter alia corruption, embezzlement, and fraud) and insolvency administrators in cases of fraudulent insolvency. Nathalie assists in complex cases of fraud litigation at the interface between civil and criminal law. She specialises in the judicial and extrajudicial assertion of directors' liability and other claims against those involved in white-collar crime. This includes the accompaniment of investigations by public prosecutors, support of internal investigations and enforcement. Nathalie advises companies preventively and on a case-by-case basis on compliance issues, including those with a cross-border dimension.
Nathalie's experience includes:
- representing a German media company in a case of corruption and breach of trust by its former managing director, action for the enforcement of claims for enrichment, directors' liability and other claims for damages against eight defendants, accompanying the criminal investigations led by the Frankfurt Special Public Prosecutor's Office for Economic Criminal Matters
- representing a German recycling company damaged by fraudulent actions, filing a criminal complaint for fraud and falsification of documents
- representing an insolvency administrator in two civil proceedings for the assertion of (1) claims against two group companies in connection with the conspiratorial withdrawal of trademark rights and (2) against corporate bodies for unlawful intra-group payments and embezzlement, filing criminal charges for embezzlement, delay in insolvency and attempted litigation fraud, accompanying the public prosecutor's criminal investigations
- representing an insolvency administrator in the assertion of claims for damages under German and Chinese tort law against, inter alia, the Chinese contractual partner of the insolvency debtor
- representing an insolvency administrator in various civil lawsuits in connection with a complex criminal insolvency (fraud, delay of insolvency, etc.)
- preventive compliance advice to a multinational oil and gas group on criminal law risks (corruption) in complex sports sponsorship agreements with cross-border impact
- advising a German plant constructor on criminal law risks (money laundering) in transnational payment transfers
- criminal law support in the setting aside of an investment arbitral award and in the defence against its enforcement in numerous jurisdictions, assisting the client in filing requests for mutual legal assistance
- Ranked as one of “Germany’s Best Lawyers” for "Corporate Governance & Compliance" and "Wirtschaftsstrafrecht/Criminal Defense"
Best Lawyers / Handelsblatt 2021 and 2022
- Supply Chain Law in Germany: Current Steps Towards a Mandatory Human Rights Due Diligence Law, Herbert Smith Freehills, Latest Thinking, 22 July 2020.
- Ein „Unternehmensstrafrecht“ für Deutschland. Im Blickpunkt: Neue Haftungsrisiken für Manager und D&O-Versicherer?, in: ComplianceBusiness, Edition 2, June 2020, p. 8-10 (together with Nina-Isabell Ballwanz and Dr. Dirk Seiler).
- German Ministry of Justice releases official draft Corporate Sanctions Act, Herbert Smith Freehills, FSR and Corporate Crime Notes, 23 April 2020.
- Corporate Criminal Liability and Internal Investigations – Expected Legislative Changes in Germany, Herbert Smith Freehills, FSR and Corporate Crime Notes, 23 September 2019.
- Jurisdiktionskonflikte im Rahmen transnationaler Kriminalität. Zur Koordination der Strafgewalten über natürliche Personen und Unternehmen in der Europäischen Union, Studien zum Strafrecht, Band 96, Baden-Baden: Nomos – Zürich/St. Gallen: Dike Verlag 2019 (Nomos eLibrary).
- Verschärfter Kampf gegen Geldwäsche. Neues Geldwäschegesetz Ende Juni 2017 in Kraft getreten, in: ICC Germany-Magazin, December 2017, p. 28-31 (together with Dr Helmut Görling and Dr Patricia Nacimiento).
- European Account Preservation Orders. A New Streamlined Procedure for Freezing EU Bank Accounts in Cross-border Cases, in: Herbert Smith Freehills, Cross-border Litigation, International Perspectives, Issue 1, March 2017, p. 12-13 (together with Dr Helmut Görling).
- Die Europäische Ermittlungsanordnung. Im Blickpunkt: Neue Wege der grenzüberschreitenden Beweiserhebung in Strafsachen, in: ComplianceBusiness, Edition 3, September 2016, p. 16-19 (together with Dr Helmut Görling).
- Conflicts of Jurisdiction in Cross-border Criminal Cases in the Area of Freedom, Security, and Justice. Risks and Opportunities from an Individual Rights-Oriented Perspective, in: New Journal of European Criminal Law, Vol. 6, Issue 1, 2015, p. 78-101.
- Contributions to the firm's "Corporate Crime Monthly Update".
- Wirtschaftsstrafrechtliche Vereinigung e.V.
- Alumni und Freunde des Fachbereichs Rechtswissenschaft Frankfurt e.V.
- Women in eDiscovery
- JuWiSt e.V. - Juristinnen im Wirtschafts- und Steuerstrafrecht
Nathalie was admitted to the bar in 2012 and holds a doctorate degree (Dr. iur.) of the Goethe-University of Frankfurt in the field of International and European criminal law. Before joining Herbert Smith Freehills in 2016, she initially worked in dispute resolution and arbitration at a leading international law firm while writing her doctoral thesis. She then moved to AGS Legal, one of the leading German law firms specialising in compliance and internal investigations. At EUROJUST, The Hague, Nathalie gained practical experience in cross-border prosecution of transnational crime. Nathalie studied law in Frankfurt and Lyon. She speaks German, English, and French.