For more than 15 years, Markus has been advising industrial clients, private equity houses and financial institutions. He has broad experience in wide range of transactional matters in the real estate, automotive and pharmaceutical sectors. Markus assists with joint ventures, general corporate and governance matters and has in depth knowledge of capital markets and related regulatory issues.
Over the last years, Markus advised in some of the most prominent public M&A transactions in the German market, involving Grammer, Ningbo Jifeng, Vonovia, Deutsche Wohnen, GSW, GAGFAH, Italmobiliare, HeidelbergCement, KUKA, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, LSE, Deutsche Börse, Goldman Sachs, McKesson, Barclays and UBS. He has broad sector expertise in real estate, automotive and pharmaceuticals. He also regularly advises private equity and venture capital clients in connection with their transactional and corporate matters, including joint ventures. Further, Markus helps clients with respect to all aspects of capital market transactions.
Markus's experience includes advising:
- an affiliate of Ningbo Jifeng Auto Parts Co., Ltd., a Chinese automotive component supplier, on its 600 million Euro public takeover offer regarding Grammer AG, a German components supplier serving the automotive and commercial vehicles industry
- Ningbo Jifeng, a Chinese automotive component supplier, on its strategic partnership with Grammer AG, a German components supplier serving the automotive and commercial vehicles industry.
- Vonovia on its public takeover of Austrian peer conwert Immobilien Invest
- ICBC on the financing and it's financing confirmation under the German Securities Acquisition and Takeover Act (WpÜG) of the successful public takeover by Midea Group, China's biggest home appliance manufacturer, of German robotics specialist, KUKA
- Cording Real Estate Group and SSWZ Partners on the sale of 1,800 residential real estate units by way of a share deal to DOMICIL Beteiligungs GmbH
- Vonovia, ICBC, Italmobiliare, Deutsche Wohnen, McKesson, Barclays and UBS in recent public M&A situations;
- shareholders of Novaled AG in the sale of their shares to Samsung's subsidiary Cheil Industries for € 260 million*;
- Deutsche Wohnen AG on its €1.23 billion acquisition of the BauBeCon Group
- Rhône Funds on their €900 million acquisition of Evonik’s Carbon Black Business*; and
- Cinven Limited on its €500 million acquisition of JOST Holding GmbH*
* prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
- Recognised as a notable practitioner for M&A in Germany
IFLR 1000, 2020
- Listed in "Germany's Best Lawyers 2019" for M&A
Handelsblatt Rating in cooperation with Best Lawyers
- "Very pleasant cooperation, solutions-oriented”, “proactive, very collegial”, competitor
- Frequently recommended lawyer for Corporate, M&A and Real Estate
- Recognised as a leading lawyer for M&A in Germany
IFLR 1000, 2017
- Recommended lawyer for Corporate/M&A
The Legal 500, 2016/2019
Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills in 2015, Markus worked for leading German and Wall Street law firms. He is a native German speaker and is also fluent in English and Spanish.
Markus studied law at the Universities of Mannheim and Barcelona (Universitat Abat Oliba CEU). He obtained his law doctorate at Goethe University of Frankfurt.