Marius has advised national and international clients in the entire field of regulatory law for more than 15 years. His advice covers both, transactional as well as stand-alone businesses. He is a well-known expert on aviation, renewable energy and environmental law.
Marius is an author and editor of a number of books and essays in the areas of aviation law, energy law and civil service law. E.g., he is co-publisher and author of a commentary on the German Renewable Energy Act (EEG), a textbook on investments in windparks and author of an essay on airport licensing in the leading German aviation publication. He publishes legal articles on regulatory issues, e.g. on the latest developments of the German FDI regime.
Marius is listed as a recommended environmental law expert in the 2019 directory “Kanzleimonitor” published by the German association of in-house counsel.
Marius' experience includes advising:
- Deutsche Lufthansa on the sale of the European Business of LSG Group to airline caterer gategroup
- an international logistics enterprise on the expansion of its freight hub at an airport
- iCON Infrastructure on the acquisition of a stake in Hanover airport from Fraport
- a leading international mineral oil group on the envisaged sale of an affiliate in all related environmental aspects
- City of Ahaus in administrative proceedings against the permit issued to in relation to the nuclear intermediate storage facility in the local district of Ahaus
- Federal Agency for Financial Market Stabilisation on stabilisation measures for WestLB AG and on the establishment of Erste Abwicklungsanstalt (the first German bad bank)*
- Depfa Bank plc. Group in connection with the transfer of risk positions to FMS Wertmanagement (the second German bad bank)*
- Beijing Enterprises on regulatory and environmental law as well as subsidies in the acquisition of EEW (Energy from Waste) in the largest ever Chinese acquisition of a German business*
*Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
- The German CRT team is ranked as recommended competition practice in Germany by Global Competition Review (GCR 100, 20th edition 2020).
Marius graduated from the law school of the University of Freiburg. He holds a Doctor of Laws (Dr. iur.) from the University of Freiburg on a constitutional and parliamentary related topic. Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills in 2016, he worked for other leading international law firms in Cologne and Duesseldorf.