Marcel advises on all aspects of European and German antitrust law.
His practice focuses on (complex) merger control proceedings, abuse of dominance proceedings, compliance advice, cartels and antitrust damage proceedings.
Marcel advises clients in a variety of industries, including automotive, technology, media and telecommunications, transportation and logistics, consumer goods and pharmaceuticals.
He is the author of several legal books and articles, including several sections of the leading commentary on the Renewable Energy Sources Act.
Marcel's experience include advising:
- Deutsche Lufthansa in competition aspects of the sale of its market leading inflight catering business to close competitor Gategourmet including securing a conditional Phase I clearance by the European Commission.
- Event Hospitality & Entertainment on the sale of its German cinema exhibition division, CineStar, to UK-based Vue International Bidco, successfully obtaining Phase II conditional clearance from the Bundeskartellamt
- Sierra Rutile in a successful Phase II merger control review by the FCO of its merger with Iluka Resources (cleared without remedies)
- DSGF/SMS on a merger to create a hub for back office solutions for (savings) banks in Phase II merger control proceedings by the FCO (withdrawal of notification)
- Ningbo Jifeng, a Chinese car parts manufacturer, on antitrust and merger control aspects of an acquisition of shares in and a strategic partnership with German competitor Grammer AG including a successful defense against an injunction alleging that the acquisition of shares in Grammer AG should have been submitted for merger clearance in Germany
- Sky in the worldwide review of merger control notification requirements in connection with the acquisition of shares in Synamedia
- a truck manufacturer with a view to cartel follow-on damage claims being brought in Germany
- a Japanese car parts manufacturer in the context of its global defence against follow-on claims arising from its involvement in competition law infringements in the European Union
- a steel-mill operator on potential follow-on damages claims in relation to a FCO decision against long steel purchasers
- a plastic processing company on potential follow-on damages claims in the context of a EU Commission decision against Etyhlen purchasers
- Verein Athleten Deutschland on competition law aspects in respect to advertising restrictions imposed by the IOC
- a leading European producer of organic dairy products in relation to a production cooperation
- Altra Industrial Motion Corp. inter alia on the successful acquisition of GKN Stromag, a competing manufacturer of clutches, couplings and brakes for industrial applications
- AGCO Corporation on all merger control aspects related to the acquisition of Cimbria Holdings, a leading manufacturer of products and solutions for the processing, handling and storage of seed and grain
- Recognised as a leading lawyer for Competition in Germany ("Top-Anwalt für Kartellrecht"), WirtschaftsWoche 2021
- The German CRT team is constantly ranked as recommended competition practice in Germany by Global Competition Review (GCR 100, 21th edition 2021)
- Marcel Nuys is recognised by the magazine "Wirtschaftswoche" as a leading lawyer for competition law in the German market for 2019
Marcel is business fluent in English and has very good knowledge of Portuguese.