Friso advises and represents corporates of the finance and manufacturing industries in banking and capital markets law, trade and corporate law and general contracts law. Further, Friso specializes in data protection, cyber security, compliance and corporate crime and investigations.
With his experience as a former civil law judge, public prosecutor and a transaction lawyer, Friso has an exceptionally wide professional perspective. Further, Friso serves as the data protection officer of the Firm in Germany.
Friso's experience includes:
- acting as counsel for a multinational general contractor in an ICC arbitration in Germany concerning damage claims under an EPC contract for a coal fired power plant
- representing a Russian investment bank in proceedings obtaining an ex parte order to attach bank accounts in Germany held by an East-European bank to secure a €10+ million claim in parallel with concurrent attachment proceedings in the U.S., the U.K., France and Russia
- advising banks and payment service providers with respect to issues under payment services law
- advising international commercial banks in drafting their European unified standard business terms for business customers
- representing domestic and international financial institutions and industrials in cases of breach of fiduciary duties committed by directors and officers (civil and criminal law)
- preventive and case-related compliance consulting of companies operating in various industries; management of compliance investigation cases
- Co-Author, „Die 5. EU-Geldwäscherichtlinie“, ICC Germany Magazin 7/2018
- Co-Author, "Die grenzüberschreitende vorläufige Kontenpfändung", MDR 2017, 673
- Co-Author, "Plötzlich gepfändet", Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 11 January 2017
- Co-Author, "Germany intensifies fight against corruption abroad and at home", Herbert Smith Freehills – Financial Services Regulation and Corporate Crime Blog, December 2015
- Co-Author, "German Federal Supreme Court: no suspension of limitation by generic model applications for conciliation", Herbert Smith Freehills – Dispute resolution e-bulletin, June 2015
- Co-Author, "German Federal Supreme Court Underlines Non-Intervenistic and International Approach of German Arbitration Law", Kluwer Arbitration Blog, 2014
- Author, "Schiedszusagen in der Europäischen Fusionskontrolle", 2006
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- BvD – Bundesverband der Datenschutzbeauftragten Deutschlands (Association of German Data Protection Officers)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- DIS Deutsche Institution für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit (German Institution of Arbitration)
Friso joined Herbert Smith Freehills in 2014.
From 2011 to 2014, Friso served as a Judge and Public Prosecutor of the State of Baden-Württemberg.
From 2007 to 2011, Friso was a Capital Markets Lawyer for another international law firm in Frankfurt.
Friso studied law at the University of Bonn. He holds a doctorate degree (Dr. iur. utr.) of the University of Cologne in the fields of International Arbitration and European Merger Control. He was admitted to the bar in 2007.
He speaks German, English, Dutch and French.