Since 2003, Dirk has been advising injured companies on investigating and handling complex cases of economic crime. A focal point of his work, which is at the interface of civil law and criminal law, revolves around cases concerning corruption, breaches of trust, embezzlement and fraud.
In recent years, Dirk has been involved in several major cases, investigating facts and enforcing claims for damages running into tens of millions at a time. Among those cases that attracted considerable media attention were, for example, the criminal and civil law representation of injured companies in the waste scandal in Cologne and Bonn, in the case of the money transport company Heros, and also in the IKEA and FORD cases. In the area of preventive compliance consultancy Dirk has been representing well-known companies from various sectors for many years.
Dirk's experience includes:
- a leading automobile manufacturer on internal investigations and the enforcement of claims in the multi-digit million euro range in relation to systematic economic crimes by employees, suppliers and subcontractors (national and international); on the arresting of the offenders' properties and the coordination of the termination proceedings; on lodging and enforcing the claims in the insolvency proceedings
- a large municipal waste management company on multi-million claims against several debtors and the legal insolvency consultation
- a multinational technology company on judicial and extrajudicial representation and preventive counseling
- a Scandinavian home furnishings retailer on cases of fraud and breach of trust in complex, large-scale projects
- a public television broadcaster on enforcing claims amounting to millions against external service providers and employees
- a leading pharmaceutical group in cases of fraud and combating counterfeiting of pharmaceutic products
- a leading company in the tourism industry on an extensive case of breach of trust; advising with regard to insurance-related questions, especially concerning the fidelity insurance and the directors and officers liability insurance*
*prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
- Ranked as one of “Germany’s Best Lawyers” for dispute resolution – Best Lawyers/Handelsblatt 2021
- Recognised as a leading lawyer for Compliance in the German market ("Top-Anwalt für Compliance", Business Magazine Wirtschaftswoche, 2019)
- Dirk Seiler is described by a market participant as "equally cautious of the results and the costs." – Legal 500, 2019
- Dirk Seiler is described by a market participant as a "sovereign and wise strategist." – Legal 500, 2019
- Dirk Seiler is praised by a market participant for his "sovereign economic criminal expertise." – Legal 500, 2019
- Recommended lawyer in the market for Compliance-Investigations – JUVE Directory 2014/2015: JUVE Directory 2015/2016
- "strategically and professionally", "always spot-on"; "quick, pre-eminent expertise" – JUVE German Commercial Law firms 2015
- Recommended lawyer in The Legal 500 Germany 2016 (Criminal Law, Compliance)
- Top-Lawyer for Compliance (White Collar Crime, Compliance and Prevention)
- Wirtschaftswoche 16/2012; Wirtschaftswoche 14/2015
Dirk graduated from the University of Regensburg.