Dominic has over 15 years' experience in handling all forms of dispute resolution. He focuses in particular on high-value commercial litigation including banking, private equity, shareholder, joint venture and listed company disputes, often involving a cross-border or offshore element.
A substantial part of Dominic's practice involves applications for interim relief, including injunctions and disclosure orders in the context of fraud and asset-tracing matters. Dominic also has significant experience in enforcing security, insolvency, arbitration and arbitration-related Court proceedings.
Dominic has deep sector expertise in financial services and private equity, as well as TMT and consumer goods. He has defended financial institutions in a number of the leading Court cases in the banking sphere in Hong Kong, including in relation to allegations of financial product mis-selling, structured products and derivatives, and unauthorised trading.
Both Chambers and Legal 500 have recommended Dominic for dispute resolution, describing him as ‘a proactive, sharp and responsive litigator with strong commercial awareness’, ‘excellent’ and ‘attentive, patient and knowledgeable’.
He is qualified to practice in Hong Kong and in England & Wales, and is also a Solicitor Advocate in Hong Kong.
Dominic’s experience includes advising:
- a leading global optical lens manufacturer, in connection with a substantial fraud totalling over US$210 million, involving applications for disclosure orders against various banks, proprietary and Mareva injunctions, complex asset-tracing and recovery actions in the Hong Kong Court, against 90 defendants. This is believed to be one of the largest and most complex fraud and civil recovery actions ever undertaken in the Hong Kong Court
- eHi Car Services Limited, a major Chinese car rental services provider listed on the New York Stock Exchange, and a major shareholder of the car rental services provider in a significant shareholder dispute arising from competing take-private bids, involving injunctive, arbitral and related Court proceedings in Hong Kong and the Cayman Islands
- a major Asian private equity firm in arbitral, injunctive and other strategic actions in Hong Kong, Taiwan, USA and the BVI in connection with a dispute arising out of a pre-IPO share purchase agreement worth over US$500 million
- BYD Company in defending complex litigation proceedings involving claims of conspiracy, breach of duty of confidence, breach of fiduciary duty, and dishonest assistance by Foxconn in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan and the US, relating to mobile phone development
- Grand Pacific Holdings Limited in its successful defence of an application for leave to appeal to the Court of Final Appeal, in relation to the setting aside of an International Court of Arbitration award in its favour
- New Cotai LLC, Silver Point Capital and Oaktree Capital Management in a complex dispute between the shareholders in a BVI and Macau joint venture established to develop and construct a US$2.4 billion integrated entertainment and hotel resort in Macau. The dispute involved three High Court actions, two unfair prejudice petition actions under section 168A of the Companies Ordinance, and a successful appeal in the Court of Appeal to uphold a strike-out order and jurisdictional challenge order made in the client’s favour
- various leading Swiss and Chinese private banks in the defence of investment product mis-selling claims by investors, involving in one case allegations as to the adequacy of due diligence conducted on a hedge fund investment that later transpired to be a feeder fund for the Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme
Dominic is dual qualified as a solicitor in Hong Kong and in England and Wales, holding a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) degree from the University of Durham.