He has a broad practice, with a focus on corporate insolvency, government issues and administrative law, and media and defamation.
His experience includes conducting and resolving disputes in the state supreme courts and the Federal court, including reaching resolutions by negotiation and mediation.
These disputes have ranged from large scale trials involving voluminous evidence, to smaller disputes confined to novel legal issues.
He is accustomed to working in a discreet manner in sensitive situations.
Derreck's experience includes:
- He has a broad practice, with a focus on corporate insolvency, government issues and administrative law, and media and defamation
- regularly advising banks, insolvency professionals and other interested parties in distressed creditor situations
- advising the former receivers of Burrup Fertilisers Pty Ltd, a complicated receivership involving multiple legal proceedings in multiple jurisdictions, extending beyond the conclusion of the receivership
- regularly advising government agencies including government trading entities in relation to their obligations under Freedom of Information legislation
- acting for the administrators of Sons of Gwalia in relation to proceedings against the directors and former auditor, which resulted in settlements totalling $178 million
- advising Racing and Wagering Western Australia in relation to integrity issues, and other matters arising during Stewards’ inquiries
Derreck holds a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Western Australia.
He is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Western Australia and the Federal and High Courts of Australia.