David advises policyholders, brokers and insurers on complex and high value claims on all classes of general insurance with a particular focus on liability and property insurance.
In addition to advising on contentious matters, David has extensive experience in advising policyholders and brokers on policy wordings at placement, particularly in a real estate context.
David's experience includes advising:
- a global law firm in connection with civil claims arising from the actions of a former partner.
- insurers and policyholders in relation to coverage issues arising from liability for historical abuse.
- an international pharmaceutical company on D&O insurance claims arising from the US opioid crisis.
- a UK construction plc in connection with claims under Professional Indemnity and Public Liability policies.
- successfully defending a Chinese state-owned energy company in Commercial Court litigation in connection with contracts of affreightment.
David obtained a masters degree in Medieval History at the University of St. Andrews before converting to law and joining Herbert Smith Freehills as a trainee in 2010.