Drawing on over 10 years' experience as a dispute resolution lawyer, Dan collaborates with his clients to help them navigate and successfully resolve complex international disputes in the construction & infrastructure and energy sectors. With experience of resolving disputes throughout the Asia-Pacific region, Dan is able to provide nuanced advice sensitive to the local business and regulatory environments. This allows Dan to help clients with front-end dispute avoidance and risk management issues as well as resolving disputes when they arise.
Dan is a specialist international arbitration lawyer with experience both as advocate and as an arbitrator. He has experience of arbitrations under major institutional rules (e.g. ICC, SIAC) and also ad-hoc arbitrations. Dan also has expertise in other forms of dispute resolution, including litigation, statutory adjudication and mediation. Dan's breadth of experience allows him to help clients formulate successful strategies to resolve the most complex disputes within the Asia-Pacific region and beyond.
Dan has been recognised by Chambers & Partners as an Associate to Watch "for his important work on cross-border arbitrations in the construction, infrastructure and energy sectors. Interviewees praise his work ethic, noting that he 'really puts himself out there' and 'does the work to make the wheels turn' on complex mandates." He has also been recognised as a Next Generation Lawyer by Legal 500.
Dan's experience includes advising:
- a global telecommunications company in a Singapore seated ICC arbitration in relation to the termination of a contract for the construction of infrastructure systems for a national gas distribution network
- a Korean contractor in a Singapore seated SIAC arbitration concerning claims under a turnkey contract for the construction of a process plant in Vietnam
- two international energy companies in a Singapore-seated ICC arbitration concerning recovery of additional tax liabilities under the indemnity and stabilisation provisions of a Vietnamese Production Sharing Contract
- a global chemicals manufacturer in claims under an EPCM contract in relation to the construction of a chemicals plant in Malaysia
- an Asian energy major in a dispute under a contract for the design, procurement, construction and installation of a processing and living quarters platform in waters offshore Myanmar
Dan graduated from the University of Oxford with a B.A. in Jurisprudence. He is admitted as a solicitor in England and the BVI and is a Recognised Foreign Lawyer with the Singapore International Commercial Court. Dan also sits as an arbitrator.