Dan specialises in construction, energy, and infrastructure disputes. He has acted as counsel in arbitrations relating to onshore and offshore oil and gas projects, pipelines, major petrochemical developments, as well as road, rail, water, airport and urban development projects. Dan has advised on complex claims under production sharing contracts, offtake and feedstock agreements, concession agreements, and a large range of construction contracts (both bespoke and standard form) covering design and build, turnkey, EPCIC and EPCM arrangements.
Dan regularly appears as counsel in complex arbitrations under a range of institutional rules, including the ICC, LCIA, and SIAC, and in ad hoc arbitrations, including as an advocate for both interim applications and substantive merits hearings. Dan also advises on arbitration related court proceedings including jurisdictional challenges, set aside applications as well as enforcement proceedings. Dan has also been appointed as arbitrator by institutions such as the SIAC.
He is also able to bring to bear his thorough knowledge of mediation and other alternative forms of dispute resolution to assist his clients to achieve successful settlements.
Dan's practice also involves a significant advisory component, in particular working closely with transactional teams on risk avoidance and mitigation strategies. He places emphasis on his clients' needs for realistic, down to earth advice in a commercial context.
The Legal Directories have consistently recognised Dan as a leading arbitration lawyer. Chambers Asia Pacific 2019 describes him as 'well-regarded' and 'a sensible lawyer' whilst Legal 500, Asia Pacific 2019 singles Dan out as a next generation lawyer.
Dan's experience includes advising:
- a project company on issues arising out of the construction of refinery and petrochemical complex, including two SIAC arbitrations and an emergency arbitration proceeding, involving claims under and in relation to the EPC Contract
- two international energy companies in a Singapore-seated ICC arbitration concerning recovery of additional tax liabilities under the indemnity and stabilisation provisions of a Vietnamese Production Sharing Contract
- a Government Agency in its capacity as project owner under a long term concession for a waste to energy plant in Southeast Asia in connection with insolvency proceedings commenced by the majority shareholder of the project company and its EPC Contractor
- a global digital infrastructure company in a Singapore seated ICC arbitration in relation to the termination of a contract for the construction of infrastructure systems for a national gas distribution network, including related court proceedings in China and Singapore
- a Korean contractor in a Singapore seated SIAC arbitration concerning claims under a turnkey contract for the construction of a process plant in Vietnam
- a Japanese contractor on claims arising out of two light rail projects in Southeast Asia
Dan graduated from the University of Oxford with a B.A. in Jurisprudence. He is admitted as a solicitor in England and the BVI and is a Recognised Foreign Lawyer with the Singapore International Commercial Court. Dan also sits as an arbitrator.