Dana (Da Won) Kim
Dana is a Partner in the Seoul office and a dispute resolution specialist focusing on cross-border disputes.
Dana has nearly 15 years' experience advising clients on cross-border disputes including arbitration, litigation, mediation, and other forms of dispute resolution, particularly in the technology, energy, finance and construction sectors.
She acts in arbitrations under all of the major arbitration rules such as ICC, SIAC, HKIAC, LCIA, KCAB, DIAC, CIETAC and ICDR.
Dana is consistently recognised as a leading individual for international arbitration by the major legal directories including Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and Who's Who Legal. According to Chambers Asia Pacific, Dana is "one of the most outstanding arbitration lawyers in South Korea." Client Choice Awards describes her as " by far the most qualified, competent, dedicated, and client oriented foreign counsel in Seoul."
Dana also regularly contributes to the broader community in Korea:
- She worked with Korea Women Attorneys’ Association for pro-bono global review of child support law which formed part of a successful appeal for new legislation in Korea.
- She founded the now annual Women in Arbitration event as part of the Seoul ADR Festival with the aim to promote diversity and professional development of women in the arbitration community.
Dana has worked in the Seoul disputes team for nearly 10 years, having previously been based in Hong Kong.
She is dual-qualified in New York and England and Wales.
Dana is the current Co-Chair of the Steering Committee of KCAB NEXT and the Rapporteur of KCAB Women's Interest Committee. She is also a member of the ICC Korea International Arbitration Committee, committee member of the Korean Council of International Arbitration (KOCIA) as well as a member of the Korea In-House Counsel Association (KICA) advisory board.
Experience & expertise
- a major battery manufacturing company in SHIAC arbitration proceedings arising out of product liability claims
- a Korean manufacturing company in an ICDR arbitration arising out of a patent infringement dispute with an Asian engineering company
- a leading Korean manufacturing company on a SIAC arbitration concerning a dispute under a license agreement with a Japanese manufacturer
- a Korean semiconductor manufacturer on a number of patent disputes relating to LED technology and chip architecture
- a Korean auto company in a dispute subject to ICC arbitration in Switzerland arising from the termination of distributorship arrangements in the Middle East
Energy and Construction
- Hyundai Heavy Industries on its successful settlement in an ICC arbitration arising out of the US$10.3 billion Barzan gas pipeline project in Qatar
- a Korean contractor in SIAC arbitration proceedings seated in Singapore, on a dispute concerning issues arising out of a power plant in India
- Samsung C&T in a SIAC arbitration in relation to significant downstream disputes with Laing O’Rourke on the AU$10 billion Roy Hill Iron Ore Project (this is the biggest contract in the world at present)
- a leading Korean construction company in DIAC arbitration proceedings commenced by its former subcontractor in relation to the design, manufacturing and installation of one of the largest construction projects in Dubai
- a Korean construction contractor in a Singapore seated ICC arbitration on claims arising out of an EPC contract for the construction of an industrial plant in Vietnam
- one of Asia's largest private equity firms in a HKIAC arbitration against another leading private equity firm, concerning the sale of its shareholding in a Korean company
- an Asian private equity firm in an ICC arbitration concerning a post-M&A dispute in the financial services sector