Sebastian specialises in all aspects of M&A and corporate law.
Sebastian advises multinationals, financial investors and family owned businesses on national and international mergers and acquisitions and corporate restructuring projects. This includes, inter alia, corporate advice on cross border transactions, joint ventures and all varieties of corporate law issues. In addition, Sebastian has specific experience in the venture capital sector.
Sebastian's industry focus is particularly on energy, telecommunication, paper, engineering and chemistry.
- "balanced commercial consulting approach combined with excellent analytical skills", "intelligent, convincing and pragmatic", clients
JUVE Handbook 2023/2024
- Sebastian is listed as a leading lawyer for Corporate Law in Germany (“Top-Anwalt für Gesellschaftsrecht”) by WirtschaftsWoche 2023
- "Focussed, level-headed", "Smart, diligent, always solution-oriented and very reliable", clients
JUVE Handbook 2022/2023
Green labeling at the end? The gradual retreat from sustainable finance products. (with Dr. Bastian Held), in: ESGZ 2023, p. 48 et seqq.
Gender Finance – ESG trend or real market segment? (with Dr Clemens Stauder), in: Zeitschrift für Unternehmensjuristen 1/2023, p. 42-43
Streitigkeiten bei der Zahlung und Anpassung des Kaufpreises (with Dr Clemens Stauder), in: Mehrbrey, Handbuch Streitigkeiten beim Unternehmenskauf - M&A-Litigation, 2. Auflage, 2022
Joint Ventures und M&A in der Wasserstoffindustrie, in: EiD 34/2021
REITs und die Höchstbeteiligungsquote nach § 11 Abs. 4 Satz 1 REITG, zugl. Diss., 2011
Die Garantie der Wirksamkeit des Geschäftsanteilskaufvertrags – Sinnvoller Schutz des Erwerbers oder sinnlose Übersetzung? (with Dr Jens Liese), in: KSzW 2011, pp. 384 et seq.
Sebastian studied law at the Universities of Bayreuth, Lausanne (Switzerland) and Münster. He holds a doctor of laws (Dr. iur.) and a degree in economic science from the University of Bayreuth. Sebastian was admitted to the bar in 2011. Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, he worked for a leading German based international law firm.
Experience & expertise
- a provider of hydrogen solutions on its envisaged de-SPAC or IPO in Europe
- a Spanish utility company on the envisaged acquisition of a German enterprise which develops, engineers, builds and operates wind farms in France and Germany
- a global infrastructure fund in relation to its bid for Ferngas, a German combined TSO/DSO
- a manufacturer of medical devices in particular on the German aspects of its envisaged listing at the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- ENGIE on the sale of Equans to Bouygues for a valuation of €7.1 billion
- InfraVia Capital Partners, a French investment firm dedicated to the infrastructure sector, on the creation of a 50/50 joint venture with Liberty Global Ventures, a global provider of video, high-speed internet and communications services, for the deployment of fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) networks in Germany
- bp on its joint venture with Daimler Mobility AG and BMW Group in Digital Charging Solutions (DCS, trading under ChargeNow), a leading developer of digital charging software for automotive manufacturers and vehicle fleet operators
PEARL Infrastructure Capital as majority stakeholder on its joint investment with Wismar Pellets in financing the construction of the Bioenergie Wismar Combined Heat and Power Plant
Prolactal, a subsidiary of Israel Chemicals (ICL), on a long term strategic partnership agreement with Biopulver GmbH relating to the production of infant formula ingredients
Deutsche Lufthansa on the sale of the European Business of LSG Group to airline caterer gategroup
- Arla Foods on the cross-border merger of two cooperatives onto a European Cooperative Society*
- Stora Enso on the sale of a sheeting center to a strategic investor*
- trivago on its IPO on NASDAQ*
- Deutsche Telekom on the acquisition of 7,700 mobile network sites from Telefónica and E-Plus*
- Deutsche Telekom on the acquisition of frequencies in the 3.5 GHz range*
- Vonovia on the acquisition of the SÜDEWO Group with around 19,800 residential units for € 1.9 billion*
- Stora Enso on the sale of a paper factory to a PE investor*
- Emmas Enkel on the investment of Metro*
- Deutsche Telekom on the acquisition of the GTS Group from a PE consortium*
- Pfleiderer on the sale of the Pergo Group to Mohawk*
- Shareholders on the sale of trivago to Expedia*
- Daimler on the sale of its majority in the engineering and consulting company MBtech to the French AKKA Technologies SA*
- Insight Venture Partners on various investments*
*Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills