Dr Adilbek Tussupov, LL.M.
Adilbek is an associate in our dispute resolution practice based in Frankfurt am Main.
Adilbek focuses his practice on international disputes, with a particular emphasis on investment and commercial arbitration. He has experience representing governments, sovereign wealth funds, companies, insolvency administrators and diplomatic missions in arbitration and litigation proceedings. His recent work includes defending a Central Asian state in multi-million dollar investment arbitration under the ICC Arbitration Rules as well as representing a government in post-arbitration enforcement proceedings in several jurisdictions with a total value of claims exceeding US$ 28 billion.
Adilbek studied international law at the KAZGUU University in Kazakhstan. He obtained his Master of Laws degree (LL.M.) from the Europa-Institut of the University of Saarland, where he focused his studies on international trade and investments. Adilbek also obtained his doctorate of law in the same university in Germany. Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills in 2017, he worked as a senior lecturer at the chair of international law at the KAZGUU University and held a position with an in-house legal team of the Kazakh Sovereign Wealth Fund "Samruk-Kazyna" JSC.
Adilbek is admitted to the Roll of Solicitors of England & Wales, as well as to the Kazakh bar. He regularly lectures at universities in Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Germany. He is also a certified mediator (CEDR, London).
Adilbek is a Kazakh and Russian native speaker, is fluent in English, and has working knowledge of German.
Experience & expertise
- the Republic of Kazakhstan in an ICC arbitration against a multi-million dollar investor claim based on the Energy Charter Treaty
- the Republic of Kazakhstan against investors in their attempt to enforce a multi-million dollar Energy Charter Treaty award in several jurisdictions around the globe
- a Sovereign Wealth Fund in foreign litigations against former bondholders
- a Diplomatic Mission of a CIS State in a multi-million claim against a construction company
- a Government Entity on amicable settlement of a potential dispute in an airport infrastructure project
- a Liquidator of an Oil & Gas company against former shareholders in a half a billion claim based on fraud allegations
- an Eastern Asian state in ICSID arbitration over a dispute surrounding gold mining production
- a German manufacturer of health and beauty products in a multi-million dollar ICC arbitration relating to a dispute involving intellectual property claims
- a Sovereign Public Partner in negotiations with a foreign private partner over a dispute relating to construction of an international airport
- a major French energy company on implementation of a large renewable energy investment project in Central Asia
- a Sovereign Wealth Fund on strategy for a complex foreign court litigation arising out of unlawful freezing of assets