David J Ryan
David advises on technology, communications and data transactions and strategy.
David advises on technology, communications and data transactions in Australia, APAC and EMEA including outsourcing, as-a-service, digital transformation, technology sourcing, joint venture and corporate deals. He has a particular focus on mandates that leverage data and data-driven technologies (AI, analytics, automation), re-negotiations and second generation outsourcings, and corporate matters involving data transfer, risk and valuation. David’s advises on deal aspects including strategy, commercials, structuring, performance and remediation, and clients comment on his expertise on the technical subject matter of transactions.
Before joining HSF David was based in the UK and APAC as a Senior Associate at a global US firm.
Experience & expertise
- Wesfarmers on technology and data aspects of Wesfarmers’ demerger of Coles and the establishment of arrangements between Coles and flybuys involving complex data exploitation, transfer and risk issues
- A major bank on the separation of a core business unit, particularly regarding data strategy, migration and risk management and the structuring and negotiation of arrangements for transitional service provision and establishment of standalone operations for the separated business unit
- National Australia Bank regarding its separation of the MLC Life business, particularly on data strategy, risk management, transfer and access issues, and renegotiation and structuring of commercial arrangements
- Transurban on an enterprise technology project including in relation to a multi-vendor sourcing model, transition risk management, sourcing strategy and negotiations with multiple vendors
- A UAE-based sovereign wealth investment company, on licensing, distribution and supply arrangements for the MEA region with a pharmaceutical manufacturer of biosimilars and generics and an equity investment in the partner entity
- AstraZeneca on the establishment of clinical trial and research outsourcing arrangements with multiple CTO/CRO vendors including developing agreement and commercial documentation, negotiating clinical and performance management terms and advising on data regulatory issues
- financial institutions including Northern Trust, Columbia Threadneedle Investments, Link Group and Barclays Wealth Management on investment operations and funds management outsourcing arrangements, including regarding information security and regulatory compliance issues
- A large financial institution regarding establishment of a joint venture for a strategic operational function, including development of bespoke, multi-stakeholder commercial data arrangements and advising on issues at the intersection of data and prudential regulation, industry schemes and data ethics