Dana specialises in cross-border and regional Asian disputes, and is global Co-Chair of our Korea Group.
Dana has nearly 15 years' experience advising Asian clients on cross-border disputes, including arbitration, litigation, mediation and other forms of dispute resolution, particularly in the technology, energy, finance and construction sectors.
She acts in arbitrations under all of the major arbitration rules such as ICC, SIAC, HKIAC, LCIA, KCAB, DIAC, CIETAC and ICDR.
Dana is the firm's relationship partner for a number of Korean conglomerates.
Dana regularly contributes to the broader legal community in Korea. She worked with the Korea Women Attorneys’ Association on a pro-bono global review of child support law, which formed part of a successful appeal for new legislation in Korea.
She also founded the now annual Women in Arbitration event as part of the Seoul ADR Festival to promote diversity and the professional development of women in the arbitration community.
"Dana Kim is a truly multicultural attorney who has a deep understanding of the characteristics of different jurisdictions, the aspects of both civil and common law, and various business cultures around the world. She is a prime example of a client-oriented lawyer who is able to accommodate the different business needs of her clients and smoothly achieve their objectives." Chambers Asia Pacific 2023
Dana is "one of the most outstanding arbitration lawyers in South Korea." Chambers Asia Pacific 2022
Dana is "by far the most qualified, competent, dedicated, and client oriented foreign counsel in Seoul." Lexology Client Choice Award: Arbitration & ADR 2021-2022
Dana is dual-qualified in New York and England & Wales and bilingual in English and Korean.
Dana is the current Co-Chair of the Steering Committee of KCAB NEXT and the Rapporteur of KCAB Women's Interest Committee. She is also a member of the ICC Korea International Arbitration Committee, committee member of the Korean Council of International Arbitration (KOCIA) as well as a member of the Korea In-House Counsel Association (KICA) advisory board.
Experience & expertise
- a major battery manufacturing company in SHIAC arbitration proceedings arising out of product liability claims
- a Korean manufacturing company in an ICDR arbitration arising out of a patent infringement dispute with an Asian engineering company
- a leading Korean manufacturing company on a SIAC arbitration concerning a dispute under a license agreement with a Japanese manufacturer
- a Korean semiconductor manufacturer on a number of patent disputes relating to LED technology and chip architecture
- a Korean auto company in a dispute subject to ICC arbitration in Switzerland arising from the termination of distributorship arrangements in the Middle East
Energy and Construction
- Hyundai Heavy Industries on its successful settlement in an ICC arbitration arising out of the US$10.3 billion Barzan gas pipeline project in Qatar
- a Korean contractor in SIAC arbitration proceedings seated in Singapore, on a dispute concerning issues arising out of a power plant in India
- Samsung C&T in a SIAC arbitration in relation to significant downstream disputes with Laing O’Rourke on the AU$10 billion Roy Hill Iron Ore Project (this is the biggest contract in the world at present)
- a leading Korean construction company in DIAC arbitration proceedings commenced by its former subcontractor in relation to the design, manufacturing and installation of one of the largest construction projects in Dubai
- a Korean construction contractor in a Singapore seated ICC arbitration on claims arising out of an EPC contract for the construction of an industrial plant in Vietnam
- one of Asia's largest private equity firms in a HKIAC arbitration against another leading private equity firm, concerning the sale of its shareholding in a Korean company
- an Asian private equity firm in an ICC arbitration concerning a post-M&A dispute in the financial services sector