Clayton advises on public and private mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions and equity capital markets deals. He has experience in major domestic and cross border transactions across a wide variety of industries including financial services, manufacturing, consumer products, retail and energy and resources.
Clayton’s experience includes acting on the following transactions:
- Autosports Group on its A$480 million initial public offering
- Barrick Gold on the A$1 billion sale processes for the Cowal and Porgera mines
- Todd Corporation in relation to its joint takeover bid for Rutila Resources
- Shriro Holdings Limited on its initial public offering
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia on its exit from its property funds management and property asset management platform, including the internalisation of CFS Retail Property Trust Group, take private bids for Commonwealth Property Office Fund and the internalisation of Kiwi Income Property Trust
- The MAC Services Group’s A$650 million acquisition by Oil States International, Inc
- CSR on the A$1.75 billion sale of its Sucrogen assets to Wilmar International
- Eldorado Gold Corporation on its A$2.4 billion acquisition of Sino Gold Mining Limited
- Gloucester Coal Limited on its A$1.2 billion proposed merger with Whitehaven Coal Limited, and Noble Group’s concurrent bid for Gloucester
- Santos on its US$2.6 billion sale of coal seam methane assets to PETRONAS in relation to the GLNG project
- Peabody Energy in its successful A$2 billion contest for control of Excel Coal
Clayton is co-editor of Towns under Siege: Developments in Australian Takeovers and Schemes, a major book on Australian M&A.
Clayton holds a Bachelor of Laws with first class honours and a Bachelor of Commerce with honours from the University of Sydney. He is admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales.