Clare advises the firm on its regulatory position as well as its liabilities to clients and others in the course of its professional work. Her role also involves seeking to mitigate the risks of our firm.
Clare has broad corporate and commercial experience, having worked in the firm’s New York and Hong Kong offices, in addition to the London office. Clare travels regularly to all offices of the firm in her current role.
Building on her fee-earning experience, she was the catalyst behind the development of our in house legal, risk and compliance team approach; using high quality in house lawyers to ensure that we and our clients have access to market leading information about the law, its development and implications.
Clare was the firm's first Chief Information Security Officer (2014-2016), creating a multi-disciplinary team working to protect our and our clients' information.
Clare is a member of the City of London Law Society Professional Rules and Regulation Committee.
Some of the areas that Clare advises on include:
- the professional conduct and ethical obligations of lawyers
- the development of the culture of proper risk management throughout the firm
- developing and promoting internal risk management rules and policies
- ensuring compliance with the regulatory and practice compliance issues for the firm
- the firm's governance and constitutional and company secretarial issues
- legal relationships with our people and suppliers
- the security of information assets
- Data Privacy and GDPR
Clare joined the firm as a trainee in 1987 after completing her degree in Law at Manchester University.
Clare has been a partner since 1997.