Based in Japan for over 10 years, Christopher is a partner in our Tokyo office. He represents leading Japanese and international clients in complex and multi-jurisdictional disputes, with particular expertise in high-value international arbitration conducted under various institutional rules, with seats in Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. He also advises on compliance matters including sanctions and anti-bribery & corruption, as well as commercial litigation and public international law.
Christopher's practice covers a wide range of contentious matters across a variety of industries, including TMT, pharmaceutical, energy and construction. In addition to his expertise in international arbitration and litigation in the English courts, Christopher also regularly advises clients on a range of public international law matters, including international boundary disputes, state-to-state dispute resolution procedures and investment protection mechanisms under investment treaties.
Christopher also has expertise in the TMT sector and is recognised as a "rising star" by Asia Pacific Legal 500 for TMT in Japan.
Christopher is licensed to advise on the laws of England and Wales in Japan as a Registered Foreign Lawyer (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi).
Christopher's experience includes:
- representing the Japanese subsidiary of a European pharmaceutical company engaged in ICC proceedings concerning the termination of a co-promotion agreement
- representing a Japanese manufacturer on its successful settlement of a long-running ICC arbitration, in connection with the construction of a telecommunications system
- representing an offshore marine contractor in arbitrations in the UAE and Vietnam concering the construction of offshore oil facilities
- advising clients on the effects of international sanctions imposed on various countries, most commonly Russia and developing sanctions compliance programmes
- advising international oil companies on rights under public international law, national and international investment law regarding contracts granted by the Republic of the Sudan over blocks located within South Sudan