Chris is a contentious financial services regulatory specialist.
Chris acts for a number of banks and other financial institutions, primarily on contentious regulatory matters. He advises clients on internal investigations, FCA and PRA enforcement matters and on interactions with the FOS. His experience in contentious matters also informs his advice to clients on regulatory compliance particularly with respect to culture, governance and conduct risk.
Chris has been on secondment to three international investment banks in both London and New York; this in-house experience has led him to understand better the needs of his clients in order to produce clear, focussed assistance and advice.
Chris specialises in issues facing wholesale banks, particularly in relation to market abuse. He has acted on some of the most high-profile contentious regulatory matters in the market, including in connection with LIBOR and FX investigations, Skilled Persons' Reviews and Parliamentary investigations.
He also specialises in matters relating to culture and governance, acting in the Salz Review of Barclays and the Kelly Review of the Co-operative Bank.
Chris is dual qualified in England & Wales and in New York. He spent two years on secondment to Herbert Smith Freehills' New York office where he acted on matters involving investigations by the SEC and DOJ.
Chris read law at Downing College, Cambridge (2002-2005), and completed a Master of Laws degree at Columbia Law School (2011-2012). He qualified in England & Wales in 2009 and in New York in 2015.
Experience & expertise
- Global investment banks in connection with cross-border investigations into issues surrounding LIBOR and FX benchmark rates
- an investment bank in connection with an investigation by two Parliamentary Select Committees
- Barclays and the Co-operative Bank in connection with, respectively, the Salz Review and Kelly Review into culture and governance
- an overseas entity in connection with an FCPA investigation into the President of its US operations
- a UK retail bank on regulatory compliance, FCA enforcement and FOS/complaints handling issues