Catherine’s practice has a particular focus on employment, industrial relations and safety related litigation. She has appeared on behalf of clients in various courts and tribunals. Her litigious experience is extensive and diverse, ranging from claims and disputes in the Fair Work Commission, to general protections and discrimination litigation in the Federal Courts, and civil claims in the District Court of Western Australia.
In addition, Catherine also regularly assists clients in relation to:
- preparing and reviewing employment contracts (including for executives), policies and procedures
- advising on industrial relations strategies and managing industrial disputes
- advising on bullying and harassment, performance management, managing ill or injured workers, restructuring issues, drug and alcohol testing in the workplace, redundancies and termination of employment
- workplace investigations
- other general employment matters
Catherine has developed relationships with clients nationally following a six month secondment to Sydney. As a testament to her abilities, Catherine continues to work closely with these clients.
Catherine’s recent experience includes:
- assisting a client with a complex, sensitive and protracted disability discrimination matter in the Federal Court of Australia
- advising a client on responding to several civil claims and a safety prosecution following an incident at its workplace
- advising on a right of entry dispute by union officials seeking to enter our client’s premises, culminating in successful rulings in both the Fair Work Commission and the Federal Court of Australia (including on appeal)
- conducting a major confidential investigation into a workplace issue which had the potential to impact a major project at a critical phase of its development
- advising a global investment bank in relation to a complex and significant breach of contract claim in the Supreme Court of Western Australia
- advising on an employee dispute with senior management which led to the termination of the employee and an unfair dismissal claim in the Fair Work Commission. The matter was bitterly fought and highly complex
Catherine holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Arts (Modern History) from the University of Western Australia.
Catherine has practised in Western Australia and New South Wales, and regularly works for clients in other jurisdictions across our national team.