As Head of the Sydney Disputes Group, Cameron is an experienced commercial litigator, advising companies in a broad range of industries, including banking and financial services, energy and resources, funds management and mining.
Cameron is a member of our market leading class actions team and is entrusted to help companies and Boards navigate significant regulatory investigations by a range of regulators including ASIC, APRA, AUSTRAC and the ATO.
He regularly acts in proceedings in the High Court of Australia, the Federal Court of Australia and state Supreme Courts. However, Cameron’s focus is on assisting clients to resolve disputes without litigation where possible, having representing clients in a wide range of alternative dispute resolution processes, including at the ICC International Court of Arbitration, as well as in negotiations, mediations and expert determinations.
His experience includes assisting:
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia in relation to the AUSTRAC civil penalty proceedings and related ASIC investigation and shareholder class actions
- Colonial First State in three separate class actions relating to the FirstChoice superannuation fund
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia in relation to a class action on behalf of Bankwest commercial borrowers who defaulted on loans following the acquisition of Bankwest by CBA in 2008
- CommInsure in responding to ASIC and APRA investigations arising out of a range of allegations relating to its life insurance business
- Origin Energy Limited in relation to Federal Court proceedings challenging a decision by the Commissioner of Taxation not to allow certain deductions incurred in the operation of the Eraring and Shoalhaven power stations
- An ASX 100 company in settling disputes and threatened class action proceedings with a large number of franchisees
Cameron graduated from the University of New South Wales with degrees in Jurisprudence and Law and holds a Master of Laws in Corporate and Commercial Law. He has been a casual lecturer in Public Law at the University of New South Wales. Before joining Herbert Smith Freehills he was the Associate to Justice Lindgren of the Federal Court of Australia.
Cameron is continuously recognised by Asia Pacific Legal 500 as a leading individual in tax disputes. He also continues to be ranked by Best Lawyers in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Commercial Law, Litigation and Tax Law.