Cameron has specialized investigations and compliance for the past 12 years and his extensive experience includes fraud and corruption investigations, compliance, governance and regulatory matters, FCPA and UK Bribery Act compliance advice and due diligence, anti-money laundering compliance and investigations. He has worked in multiple African jurisdictions, the UK, East Asia, Europe and the United States on a variety of investigations and has provided advice to regulators in South Africa, the United States and the UK.
Cameron's broad depth of experience in the South African and African market, coupled with his international exposure and experience, provides a unique service offering to clients seeking a local South African or global perspective concerning investigations and compliance issues. Supported by Herbert Smith Freehills' global Corporate Crime and Investigations practice, Cameron is well placed to provide clients with local expertise with added the benefit of drawing the expertise of lawyers in the firm's global offices. Due to the international nature of investigations, this is of great value to clients seeking seamless service in multiple jurisdictions as well as clients who appreciate the benefit of a firm with investigations experience and dealings with regulators the world over.
Cameron is well known in the investigations market in South Africa and has good relationships with subject matter experts (such as computer forensic specialists and forensic accountants) and is able to draw on these experts where their skillsets are required.
Cameron's experience includes:
- Major UK Financial Regulator – Advice relating to global regulator’s investigation and settlement negotiations with an international financial institution relating to concurrent DPA proceedings and arrangements between the financial institution and multiple global regulators*
- Major International Bank – Responsible attorney for investigation of allegations of fraudulent conduct and compliance deficiencies in respect of the bank’s Kenyan and Mauritian operations*
- International Money Remittance Company – Appointed by the U.S. Department of Justice-appointed Corporate Compliance Monitor to perform oversight functions concerning the company’s AML compliance in the African region*
- Major International Hospitality Company – Conducted the anti-bribery and corruption due diligence and sanctions process during the acquisition of a South African hospitality company with more than 100 hotels in eight African countries*
- Major International ICT Company – internal investigation and related legal advice concerning allegations of corruption implicating the company’s South African operations in impropriety involving significant state contracts awarded to the company*
*Experience gained prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Before joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Cameron was a Partner in the Governance, Compliance & Investigations practice of one of the major South African law firms, having previously been in the forensic department of one of the big 4 audit firms.