Clare is the General Counsel of Herbert Smith Freehills..
Clare advises the firm on its risk and regulatory position as well as its liabilities to clients and others in the course of its professional work.
Clare has broad corporate and commercial experience, having worked in the firm’s New York and Hong Kong offices, in addition to the London office. Clare travels regularly to all offices of the firm in her current role.
Building on her fee-earning experience, she was the catalyst behind the development of our in house legal, risk and compliance team approach. Clare was the firm's first Chief Information Security Officer, creating a multi-disciplinary team working to protect the firm's, our clients' and our employees' information.
Clare is the Chair of the City of London Law Society Professional Rules and Regulation Committee.
Some of the areas that Clare advises on include:
- the professional conduct and ethical obligations of lawyers
- the development of the culture of proper risk management throughout the firm
- developing and promoting internal risk management rules and policies
- ensuring compliance with the regulatory and practice compliance issues for the firm
- the firm's governance and constitutional and company secretarial issues
- legal relationships with our people and suppliers
- the security of information assets
- Data Privacy and GDPR
Clare joined the firm as a trainee in 1987 after completing her degree in Law at Manchester University.
Clare has been a partner since 1997.