Charles specialises in advising many leading ASX-listed companies on corporate governance, Corporations Act, ASX Listing Rule, and remuneration and incentive matters.
As a member of Herbert Smith Freehills’ award-winning Head Office Advisory Team (HOAT), Charles assists with supporting and advising company secretaries and general counsels on a number of corporate governance issues, including subsidiary governance, board policies and charters, company reporting, market practice and emerging trends, and economic, sustainability and governance (ESG) matters.
Charles holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Melbourne and a Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) from Monash University. He has also completed a Certificate in Governance for Not-for-Profits at the Governance Institute of Australia. Charles is admitted as a Solicitor in the Supreme Court of Victoria and the High Court of Australia.
Experience & expertise
- advising on strategic corporate governance matters including Director and CEO remuneration, performance and succession, AGMs, stakeholder activism and engagement
- advising on group corporate governance, including reviewing framework suitability and implementing centralised governance, delegations and reporting models
- company policies such as board and committee charters, and whistleblowing and conflicts of interests policies
- corporate reporting obligations
- obligations under modern slavery legislation, including the preparation of modern slavery statements
- documentation of employee, executive and director equity and incentive arrangements