Bruce represents clients particularly in corporate contractual disputes, financial services class actions, in investigations, examinations and enforcement actions by regulators and in competition law disputes.
He has acted in valuation disputes arising out of bond issues and similar transactions requiring financial and forensic expert evidence. His litigation and inquiry experience includes acting in class actions, civil actions or regulatory inquiries for both corporate clients and major professional firms.
Bruce is frequently engaged to assist the firm’s clients by advising on alternatives to litigation or on other solutions to disputes or before disputes arise.
Bruce has advised clients in a number of industries including financial services, mining, real property and the supermarket industry.
Many of Bruce’s major commercial cases have involved detailed accounting and other expert issues and evidence.
As part of his practice, Bruce also has extensive experience in the resolution of those disputes by various alternative dispute resolution approaches and practices.
Before joining Freehills (now Herbert Smith Freehills), he was an associate to Sir Nigel Bowen, the former Chief Justice of the Federal Court of Australia.
Bruce’s experience includes:
- multi-party commercial proceedings and class actions
- defending clients in enforcement actions by regulators
- investigations and hearings conducted by regulators and others including the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), Independent Commission against Corruption, and various Royal Commissions
- claims or disputes with professional indemnity and other insurers
- acting as part of the firm’s litigation team in defending an ASX listed property trust in a securities class action
Bruce has been a partner in the Dispute Resolution group of the firm, and its predecessor firm Freehills, since 1989.
Bruce has degrees in Arts and Law (First Class Honours) from The University of Sydney. Before joining Freehills, he was associate to Sir Nigel Bowen, the former Chief Justice of the Federal Court of Australia.