Bowen is a litigator with experience acting in disputes requiring major legal firepower, with high financial and reputational exposure. Bowen’s main focus is assisting some of Australia’s most trusted businesses respond to class actions, especially shareholder and financial products claims. This includes assisting boards to assess class action risk before any claim is commenced. Bowen also has substantial experience representing class action defendants in interactions with insurers.
Bowen's experience includes advising:
- BHP in its defence of a shareholder class action arising out of the Samarco joint venture
- the Insurance Commission of Western Australia on its rights in the multibillion dollar Bell Group insolvency, including successfully opposing the examination of its officers in the Federal Court
- an Australian bank in response to the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry in matters involving significant reputational risk
- AMP Superannuation and N.M Superannuation, the trustees of AMP’s retail superannuation funds, in class actions brought over superannuation product fees
- Sims Limited in defending a shareholder class action brought in relation to guidance given to the market in 2015
Bowen holds a Bachelor of Laws (first class honours) and a Bachelor of International and Global Studies from the University of Sydney. He is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court of Australia.