Beatriz joined Herbert Smith Freehills in April 2022 from another leading international law firm. She advises clients in pre-contentious and contentious issues mainly related to Civil and Commercial Law matters involving different sectors such as construction, energy, retail, financing and banking products.
Beatriz has acted before the Spanish Tribunals and also has experience advising on national and international arbitration proceedings administered by the main domestic (CEA, CIMA, CAM) and international (ICC, CIADI, SCC) arbitral institutions.
Beatriz's experience includes advising:
- in a London-seated ICC arbitration involving a Chinese state-owned company against a foreign state-owned joint venture partner in relation to the suspension of a project in the energy sector in Costa Rica.
- in a DC-seated ICC arbitration involving a Spanish major infrastructure company and a US company in relation to certain alleged infringements of a share purchase agreement.
- a leading international Out-of-Home advertising company in several judicial proceedings relating to different contractual disputes.
- a Spanish construction company in a judicial dispute relating to contractual breaches of the agreement for the construction of a theme park entered into with a leading French company in the sector of theme parks.
- a Spanish energy company, in particular its trade division, on judicial disputes concerning energy SWAP agreements entered into with energy trading companies.
- defendant in a Madrid-seated ICC arbitration between two Spanish construction and engineering companies in relation to the breach of a construction agreement related to an energy project in South Africa.
- in several investment treaty cases under the ICSID Rules against the Kingdom of Spain for alleged breaches of the Energy Charter Treaty relating to renewable energy subsidies.
Beatriz has a double degree in Law and Business Administration and Management from the Universidad Pontificia de Comillas (ICADE E-3).
Before joining Herbert Smith Freehills, she worked in a leading international law firm in its Madrid and London offices and previously to that she worked in the litigation department of a main Spanish law firm.
Beatriz is a native Spanish speaker and works both in Spanish and English.