Experienced Banking and Finance Law attorney and leading lawyer in Project Finance.
Biddy has extensive experience as a banking and finance lawyer having worked at two of the major South African Banks (FirstRand and ABSA) for seven years, and at two major Southern Africa Law Firms, Edward Nathan Sonnenbergs and Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr. Biddy has worked across jurisdictions in both Africa and globally on matters relating to banking and finance, as well as projects and infrastructure.
- Chambers Global 2012 to 2016 ranked Biddy in Band 3 Projects and Energy. It is sated that clients said that she is "very good at virtually any form of project finance – she's done it all."
- The Legal 500 EMEA series 2012 to 2016 recommended Biddy in Projects and Infrastructure as well as Finance and Banking
- The IFLR1000 – Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms 2010, 2011, 2015, 2016 ranks Biddy as leading lawyer in Banking and Finance
- Who's Who Legal – International Who's Who of Project Finance Lawyers 2012 to 2015 and International Who's Who of Business Lawyers 2012 to 2015 named Biddy a leading lawyer in Project Finance.
- Best Lawyers International South Africa 2010 to 2016 listed Biddy as a "best lawyer in Banking and Finance Law, Project Finance and Development Practices and Public Finance Law"
Biddy holds a BSc (Nursing) (Hons) and LLM (Tax Law) obtained from the University of the Witwatersrand, as well as a LLB from Rhodes University.
Experience & expertise
- acting as Lenders’ Legal Advisor, to Absa Bank Limited, Nedbank Limited, FirstRand Bank Limited, and The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited, as well as any suitable development financing institution that may become a lender in due course, on the project which involves the expansion, upgrading and improvement of the Beitbridge border post in Zimbabwe, including the procurement of Technical Equipment and Software, undertaking the Services during the Concession Period, as well as the Non-core Works
- advising Facility for Investments in Renewable Small Transactions (RF) Pty Ltd on funding of Waste-to-Value plants, the scope of work included drafting the underlying project documents as well as a full suite of finance documents
- advising the Government of Malawi in relation to the development and financing through a PPP model of the proposed 450MW Mpatamanga Hydropower Project funded by the International Finance Cooperation
- advising Standard Bank and Stanbic Kenya on the refinancing of an HFO Power Plant in Kenya, under English law
- advising the South African Property Fund on restructuring its loan facilities it has with two South African banks and simplifying the security structure which provides security for such loans