Barry advises ASX-listed companies on corporate governance matters.
Barry is a Senior Associate in Herbert Smith Freehills’ Head Office Advisory Team. As an expert in corporate governance, he has co-authored a number of book chapters on the subject and has completed a secondment at CBA’s Group Governance team. Barry is experienced with advising clients in a wide range of sectors, including mining, industrials, agribusiness, consumer discretionary, and infrastructure.
Barry’s expertise spans across areas including:
- environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues, including advising on the potential greenwashing risk of public disclosures, ‘say on climate’ resolutions, climate transition action plans, and modern slavery statements
- shareholder meetings and shareholder activism
- annual reporting, including advising on remuneration reports, corporate governance statements, directors’ reports and other periodic disclosure documents
- regulatory relief applications
- governance documents, including constitutions, policies, and board and board committee charters
- remuneration, including advising on incentive plans and offer documents
Barry holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons Class I) and a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Sydney. Barry is admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court of Australia.
Experience & expertise
- advising on Adbri’s 2022 Net Zero Roadmap, BHP’s 2021 Climate Transition Action Plan, and BHP’s 2020 Climate Change Report
- advising BHP on the unification of its dual listed companies structure, including general meetings to approve unification and a wholesale review of its corporate governance suite
- obtaining a series of financial reporting and annual general meeting relief from ASIC for Speedcast International Limited in connection with its US Chapter 11 process
- undertaking reviews of BHP’s annual reporting suites
- advising SunRice in relation to bespoke governance issues, including those arising from its dual-class share structure