Ashley has extensive contentious IP experience, ranging from global patent disputes to advising commercial and not-for-profit clients on trade mark and branding, copyright, and confidential information matters in both Australia and the UK.
In her current Australian practice, Ashley acts on multi-jurisdictional life sciences patent disputes, and more broadly for clients in the consumer goods, technology, energy and community sectors. While previously in our London office, Ashley specialised in biologics patent disputes, coordinating and advising on UK and European proceedings, and assisted with pro bono work for the UNHCR.
Ashley is a member of various IP law societies, including the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ). Ashley maintains an active interest in the policy and development of IP law, and previously assisted Sue Gilchrist (then Chair of the IP Committee of the Law Council of New South Wales) in organising the 2015 Federal Court of Australia's Judges Workshop on Intellectual Property.
Ashley's experience includes advising:
- Gilead Sciences Inc in Australian patent infringement proceedings relating to its blockbuster HIV treatment
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche on its successful defence of UK High Court proceedings brought by a competitor seeking Arrow declarations relating to its cancer drug Avastin®
- Takeda Oncology in relation to its Velcade® product, the first-ever therapeutic proteasome inhibitor to be used in humans
- Gilead Sciences Inc in the Australian component of global patent revocation and infringement proceedings concerning Gilead’s breakthrough HCV treatment, Sovaldi®
- A global pharmaceutical company in Australian Federal Court, Court of Appeal and High Court proceedings concerning patent infringement and revocation
Ashley also advises various pro bono clients in relation to a range of IP-related issues.
Ashley holds a Bachelor of Laws with Honours and a Bachelor of International Studies with Honours, both from the University of Sydney, as well as a Postgraduate Diploma in IP Law and Practice from the University of Oxford.
Ashley is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court of Australia.