Armando helps banks, alternative lenders, borrowers and sponsors structure and implement all type of structured finance transactions such as leveraged finance, acquisition finance, real estate finance, project finance and restructuring and refinancing transactions. During his career, he has been involved in some of the most relevant financing transactions in the Spanish market.
Armando is an expert in private equity, energy and infrastructure projects and real estate finance. He has advised financial institutions, borrowers and sponsors in extremely complex domestic and international transactions in such sectors. Moreover, given the conditions of the market during the last years, he has very significant experience in advising in distress transactions, including the identification of potential issues as well as the legal structuring and the design of the strategy of the investment.
In addition, Armando is highly experienced in working with our clients on multi-jurisdictional transactions, coordinating the advice provided by our lawyers in all involved jurisdictions and supervising the work produced by local counsels when required.
His expertise is highlighted by listings in Chambers and Partners and Legal 500 for Banking and Finance since 2017. In addition, he is ranked in Best Lawyers for Banking and Finance and Structured Finance since 2017.
Clients highlight; "Armando García-Mendoza receives excellent feedback from clients for his "deep technical knowledge of operations and his incredible dedication.", "He is a hard negotiator and is direct", "strong and capable," with one interviewee adding that he is "very pro-client."
Armando's experience includes:
- Banco Santander and a syndicate of financial institutions (including, among others, BBVA, Bankinter, Banco Sabadell, Bankia and Mutua.) on the €220 million financing (including bank lending and institutional tranches) granted to Ence Energía for the purposes of the restructuring and refinancing the existing indebtedness of the group and financing certain additional financing needs (add-ons tranche, project finance tranche, etc.) of the group
- Antin Infrastructure Partners on the €427 million financing granted by syndicate of financial entities led by ING Bank N.V., London Branch to acquire Ufinet Group (now Lyntia), a neutral operator of reference in the wholesale telecom sector
- HIG on the restructuring and refinancing of the financing granted in the context of the acquisition of Sistemas and Impursa
- Banco Santander, Caixabank and Banco Sabadell on the refinancing granted to MSC Valencia in relation to a port terminal project in the Port of Valencia
- Bank of Ireland and a syndicate of financial institutions on the financing of the acquisition by Ergon Capital of Palex Medical group
- Natixis on the mortgaged secured senior financing granted to Healthcare Activos for the restructuring and refinancing of the group's indebtedness
- Magnum Industrial Partners on the financing of the acquisition of one of the national leaders specialized in growing, harvesting and commercializing different varieties of vegetables and fruits
Armando has a degree in law and a diploma in business administration the Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE E-1) in Madrid. He joined Herbert Smith Freehills from the Madrid office of another international law firm.