Armando helps banks, alternative lenders, borrowers and sponsors structure and implement all type of structured finance transactions such as leveraged finance, acquisition finance, real estate finance, project finance and restructuring and refinancing transactions. During his career, he has been involved in some of the most relevant financing transactions in the Spanish market.
Armando is an expert in private equity, energy and infrastructure projects and real estate finance. He has advised financial institutions, borrowers and sponsors in extremely complex domestic and international transactions in such sectors. Moreover, given the conditions of the market during the last years, he has very significant experience in advising in distress transactions, including the identification of potential issues as well as the legal structuring and the design of the strategy of the investment.
In addition, Armando is highly experienced in working with our clients on multi-jurisdictional transactions, coordinating the advice provided by our lawyers in all involved jurisdictions and supervising the work produced by local counsels when required.
Ranked as "associate to watch" in Chambers Europe 2017-Banking & Finance: "Armando García-Mendoza receives excellent feedback from clients for his "deep technical knowledge of operations and his incredible dedication." "He is a hard negotiator and is direct".
Armando's experience includes:
- Banco Santander and Caixabank on the €82 financing granted in the context of the acquisition by KKH and Aermont of a historic building in Madrid and its refurbishment into a 5 starts hotel
- Magnum Capital Partners on the financial matters related to the acquisition (LBO) of Iberchem, a group of companies involved in the production of fragrances and flavours, and the subsequent recap financing
- Banco Santander, Bankia and Caixabank on the financing of the acquisition of Global Yachting Group by Lonsdale Capital Partners
- Abengoa Water and Sojitz Corporation, as sponsors, in relation to the development and financing of a desalination project in Accra, Ghana
- CACIB and AXA Reim on the refinancing of the acquisition intra-group facilities granted to an SPV controlled by Inmochan and funds managed by CBRE for the acquisition of La Zenia Boulevard Shopping Centre, located in Alicante, Spain
Armando has a degree in law and a diploma in business administration the Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE E-1) in Madrid. He joined Herbert Smith Freehills from the Madrid office of another international law firm.