Antonio has extensive experience of advising States, international organizations and companies on all aspects of public international law and EU law. He has acted in ad hoc and institutional investment arbitrations, and has advised on Brexit issues, State responsibility, sovereign immunity, human rights, the law of the sea and economic sanctions.
Antonio previously worked as an international legal adviser to the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and represented Spain in international conferences and treaty negotiations. He has collaborated as an expert in several law firms on international procedures.
Antonio's experience includes:
- a Spanish construction company in ICSID arbitration
- a State in UNCITRAL arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty
- major Spanish companies on pre-investment arbitration
- a Spanish company on EU sanctions implications
- a multinational company on the legal consequences of Brexit contract clauses
- NGO's on pro-Bono international human rights
Antonio’s indexed publications in journals and in prominent academic publishers include a variety of public international law subject areas: treaty law, the law of the sea, investor to state arbitration, human rights, sovereign and diplomatic immunities.
Previously he worked as an international legal adviser to the Spain's Ministry for Foreign Affairs. He provided legal and strategic advice to Spain in the following areas:
- Law of treaties: negotiation and application of international agreements
- Sovereign immunities
- International maritime boundary disputes and Law of the sea
- The interplay between international Law and European Union Law
- International human rights
- European Union sanctions
- Inter-state disputes