Tony is a commercial litigator and advises clients on coverage issues and policy disputes involving all types of insurance and reinsurance. He assists clients particularly with claims under property damage and business interruption, public/product liability, professional indemnity, financial lines, D&O and political risk policies.He also handles general commercial disputes with expertise in product recall and liability matters. He has substantial international experience managing overseas litigation for clients, particularly in Europe and the United States. This often involves disputes on conflicts of law and jurisdiction.
His expertise in insurance disputes is widely recognised. Chambers UK 2016 ranks Tony as a first-tier leading individual for insurance contentious claims and describes Tony as "a phenomenally bright lawyer". Tony is the honorary solicitor to the Chartered Institute of Loss Adjusters.
Tony's experience includes advising:
- in relation to major property damage and business interruption claims arising out of the 2010 Chilean earthquake, the New Zealand earthquakes in 2010/2011 and the Thai floods in 2011
- insurers on product liability claims in the French and US courts over Rolls Royce's Mermaid Pods propulsion system fitted to various cruise liners
- major financial institutions on claims under their Bankers Blanket Bond and civil liability insurances for significant losses arising out of the global financial crisis
- Yarl's Wood Immigration Ltd, GSL UK Ltd and insurers in a claim under the Riot Damages Act 1886 for damage caused to the Yarl's Wood Immigration Detention Centre in 2002
- Pilkington and its insurers in arbitration proceedings in Barcelona on a dispute arising out of a joint venture for the design and construction of a float glass plant in Spain