Having practised in London and Sydney, Andrew has experience in major domestic and cross border transactions, in industries including banking and finance, energy and resources, insurance, consumer products, media, property, retail and telecommunications.
Andrew has had regular dealings with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) and the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) and also advised on high-profile takeover disputes before the Australian Takeovers Panel.
He is the co-author of Schemes, Takeovers and Himalayan Peaks, (a leading book on public company mergers, which is now in its third edition), and is also a co-author of Before You Tie The Knot, (a leading book on joint ventures) and Towns Under Siege (a leading book on contemporary issues in takeovers and schemes of arrangement).
Andrew is listed in the Best Lawyers rankings as one of the leading M&A lawyers in Australia.
Andrew has advised:
- Growthpoint Properties Australia on its successful $331 million takeover bid for GPT Metro Office Fund
- Woodside on its proposed $12 billion acquisition of Oil Search
- iProperty on its $750 million acquisition by realestate.com.au by way of scheme of arrangement
- the board of Recall in relation to the $3.4 billion acquisition of Recall by Iron Mountain by way of scheme of arrangement
- on the IPO of Shriro Holdings Limited
- on the proposed IPO of Metcash's automotive division and its subsequent trade sale to Bursons
- Yancoal on its US$2.3 billion capital raising and the proceedings in the Takeovers Panel
- Atlassian on the re-domiciliation of the A$3.3 billion Atlassian group from Australia to the UK by way of six inter-conditional schemes of arrangement
A graduate of the University of Sydney, Andrew holds a Bachelor of Economics with majors in Accounting and Economics, and a Bachelor of Laws (Honours). He joined Freehills (now Herbert Smith Freehills) in 1998, before relocating to London from 2004–2008 and practising at Allen & Overy, returning to the firm in 2008.