Andrew helps clients in relation to intellectual property, IT and cyber security matters.
In relation to IP/IT, Andrew helps clients with patent entitlement, infringement and validity disputes, software copyright, IT outsourcing and licensing disputes, as well as non-contentious transactional and licensing matters.
As Head of the Global Cyber Security Practice, Andrew advises clients on the full cyber security lifecycle, including proactive cyber-readiness and resilience, incident response and cyber related aspects of transactions and projects.
Recent experience includes:
- IKOS in successfully defending high profile proceedings brought by a former director of the hedge fund asserting ownership of intellectual property used by IKOS in its algorithmic trading software and alleging infringement of copyright and database rights
- Markem on its successful defence of proceedings brought by Zipher for infringement of patents relating to measuring and controlling the tension in the ribbon used in thermal transfer printing
- a mobile telecommunications company on the international licensing of its portfolio of essential 3G W-CDMA patents under fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (“FRAND”) terms
- a global insurance advisory and broking company in a software licence audit dispute with a major IT software provider
- an online retailer in relation to incident response following customer data being exfiltrated through a security vulnerability in its mobile applications being made public by a "white-hat" hacker
- a telecoms company in relation to incident response following detection of an advanced persistent threat attack on its systems
- a consortium of global banks including Standard Chartered Bank on establishing the Cyber Defence Alliance – a cyber security intelligence sharing joint venture
Memberships and Accolades
A solicitor advocate with rights of audience in all civil proceedings, Andrew is also a member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), the Institute of Physics, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and an associate member of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys.
One of five "Rising Stars". Andrew is able to "bridge the gap between law and technology". Young Legal Innovator of the Year Awards, Financial Times Innovative Lawyers 2015
Andrew is "very gentlemanly and cool-headed and thus able to look at things objectively".’ Chambers and Partners 2016 – Intellectual Property
Andrew is "a great technical litigator". IP Stars 2015, Managing Intellectual Property
"Andrew Moir is praised by clients for his 'exceptional' knowledge of software copyright and patents. He is a much sought-after expert on IP litigation concerning all manner of electronics, telecommunications and computing". Chambers and Partners 2014 - Intellectual Property
"Andrew impresses with his 'professionalism and excellent results'". Legal 500, 2011 - Intellectual Property
Andrew has a first class honours degree in Physics from Imperial College, London. Before qualifying as a solicitor, he gained hands-on experience in electronics, IT and software engineering.