Andrew is widely recognised as an expert in the regulatory sphere. His opinion pieces are published in the country’s most respected financial press and his journal articles have been cited favourably in judicial decisions and speeches. Andrew is the co-author of the Australian chapter of “The Securities Litigation Review” (2017-2020).
Clients praise Andrew for being able to strike up the perfect balance between providing detailed technical advice of the highest calibre and approaching his clients’ businesses in a “level headed”, “comforting” and “measured” manner.
Andrew’s clients include National Australia Bank, Citi, the Reserve Bank of Australia, the Financial Services Council, BHP Billiton and Wesfarmers.
Andrew’s wide range of experience includes acting on the following matters:
- NAB, in relation to the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry
- a global investment bank in relation to criminal cartel proceedings
- two Australian superannuation trustees in relation to civil penalty proceedings commenced by ASIC
- an Australian bank in relation to civil penalty proceedings commenced by ASIC concerning fees charged for ongoing advice and fee disclosure statements
- a global investment bank, in relation to a current ASIC investigation, concerning alleged misleading conduct and insider trading
- an international bank in relation to an ASIC investigation concerning personal and general advice and the sale of structured products
- a global investment bank in relation to an ASIC investigation concerning the management of alleged conflicts of interest
- Citi, in its successful defence of the landmark Federal Court proceedings brought by ASIC alleging a failure to adequately manage conflicts of interest and insider trading
- the RBA’s subsidiary, Note Printing Australia, in proceedings brought under Australia’s foreign bribery provisions
- NAB, in the successful defence of the $50 billion Idoport litigation
- Ausgrid, Endeavour Energy and Essential Energy, in Competition Tribunal proceedings successfully challenging the Australian Energy Regulator’s revenue determination
Andrew holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Economics degree from the University of New South Wales. He is admitted to practice as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW and the High Court of Australia.
Andrew is recognised as a Star Litigator in Australia by Benchmark Litigation 2020.
Andrew was named by his peers as one of the best litigators in Australia in Best Lawyers in Australia in each year from 2013 to 2020. He has also been recognised by Asia Pacific Legal 500 as a leading individual in relation to Regulatory Compliance and Investigations, and by Chambers Asia Pacific as a leading lawyer in relation to Financial Services Regulation, Disputes Resolution and Anti-bribery and Corruption. “A very strong performer with valuable experience and expertise" – Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
“Market leader in the contentious regulatory space” – Legal 500 2020.