Amanda joined the Herbert Smith Freehills finance practice in the Johannesburg office as an associate in September 2019. Amanda’s main focus is environmental law. She has experience considering the full range of environmental laws including those related to water, waste, air, and climate change. Amanda is also significantly experienced in advising mining and oil and gas clients in relation to the general and environmental regulation of those sectors. In addition to advising clients on the law, preparing legal opinions and providing due diligence and transactional advice, Amanda also represents her clients in judicial review proceedings, internal appeals and high court litigation.
Amanda has been involved in the publication of articles including:
- Shell prevented from proceeding with seismic survey offshort of South Africa's Eastern Cape Province, January 2022, P Leon, E Muller and A Hattingh.
- 2021 Chambers Global Practice Guide on Environmental Law; December 2021, J Sweet and A Hattingh;
- A mining makeover in progress, May 2021, P Leon, E Muller and A Hattingh
- Muddying the Waters: The Upstream Petroleum Resources Development Bill 2020 (accessible at https://hsfnotes.com/africa/2020/02/26/muddying-the-waters-the-upstream-petroleum-resources-development-bill-2020/)
- The Draft Mineral and Petroleum Resources Regulations: A Proverbial Curate’s Egg (accessible at https://hsfnotes.com/africa/2019/12/13/the-draft-mineral-and-petroleum-resources-regulations-a-proverbial-curates-egg/);
Amanda’s recent experience includes advising:
- the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as international legal counsel on the Ministry of Industry and Mineral Resources’ mineral law reform project;
- three successful bidders under the Round 5 Renewable Energy Independent Power Producers Procurement Programme on the environmental and health and safety aspects of the projects and preparing the required environmental legal opinions;
- a confidential banking client on the requirements for the sale of contaminated land
- three successful bidders under the Risk Mitigation Independent Power Producers Procurement Programme on the environmental and health and safety aspects of the projects and preparing the required environmental legal opinions;
- Harmony Gold on the ZAR 4.4 billion transaction in which it purchased AngloGold Ashanti Limited's South African assets;
- a confidential client on the acquisition by it of a number of old-order tailings storage facilities including conducting an environmental due diligence and providing transactional advice;
- appeal applications against the acceptance and granting of environmental authorisations and / or mining and prospecting rights.