Amal is qualified as a French avocat and a California attorney.
Amal practices international arbitration in the New York office of Herbert Smith Freehills.
Amal advises on complex, multi-tiered treaty based arbitration proceedings and international commercial arbitrations conducted under a variety of the major arbitration rules; such as ICSID, CAFTA-DR, UNCITRAL, ICC, LCIA, ICDR.
Trained in both the civil law and common law systems, Amal has handled disputes involving an array of complex procedural and substantive issues and industry sectors, including, technology, telecommunications, and energy-related disputes.
In addition to appearing before international arbitral tribunals, she litigates international arbitration matters before national courts, and manages complex multi-jurisdictional disputes. Amal also has experience in the mediation of international disputes.
Amal speaks and publishes in English, French, and Spanish on issues of international law and international arbitration.
Amal is a national of Algeria and France.
Amal’s working languages are English, French, Spanish, and Arabic. She is proficient in Italian, and has a basic knowledge of spoken Mandarin.
Experience & expertise
- a Central American state in an ICSID-administered; UNCITRAL arbitration, arising out of a claim brought under the CAFTA-DR
- an African state in an ICSID arbitration arising out of an alleged investment in the banking industry
- a Middle Eastern corporation in relation to a dispute arising out of a major investment in Algeria
- a South American oil and gas company in a dispute arising out of the construction of off-shore oil platforms in Brasil
- a Canadian mining company in relation to a Treaty-based claim against an Asian state in relation to the alleged expropriation of a gold mine
- a multi-national energy group in a USD 300 million Energy Charter Treaty claim against the Russian Federation
- a US energy group in a dispute arising out of an Asian state's withdrawal of investment protections afforded to foreign nationals pursuant to a bilateral investment treaty
- a International Internet operator in a confidential advice on a potential treaty claim against a Latin American state
- a US energy company in court proceedings brought in the United States in support of a multi-billion dollar arbitration brought under the BIT between the United States and Ecuador.
- a Brazilian energy company in a Paris-seat ICC arbitration against a Libyan state entity
- a US energy company in a contract-based dispute against an African State pursuant to the ICSID Mediation and Arbitration Rules
- a French energy company in an ICSID-administered arbitration brought pursuant to the Energy Charter Treaty against Bulgaria
- a French telecom and media company in a London-seat Euro 2.2 billion BIT arbitration against an Eastern European state
- a US energy company in an arbitration seated in Egypt in relation to contractual claims
- a US energy company in an multi-billion confidential arbitration relating to operations in the Middle East and North Africa
- a multi-national LNG company in relation to a dispute arising out of a long-tern LNG supply agreement with a Middle-Eastern oil and gas company
- a Telecom operator in a Cairo-seat Arabic language arbitration conducted under the rules of CRCICA
- secretary of an arbitral tribunal in a Cairo seated CRCICA arbitration arising out of the construction of a major commercial mall in Egypt
- secretary of an arbitral tribunal in an LCIA arbitration seated in London, arising out of the construction of a port terminal in Kazakhstan